Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One Should Never Have to Hear the Song "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails While Eating Lunch on a Saturday Afternoon

Posted by on Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Baguette Box on Pine makes a delicious braised tofu sandwich. It has crusty bread, slices of avocado, pickled diakon and carrots, onion, and some kind of aioli. It comes with a pile of cilantro and jalapeño slices, too, but I always pick those off and give them to whoever is eating lunch with me. If you like cilantro and jalapeño, you would probably really love eating lunch with me.

I was there on Saturday afternoon, enjoying that sandwich along with a side of fries. It was cold and windy outside and the fries were hot. There were big and funny paintings of adorable dogs on the walls. It was nice to be out of the rain. It was very pleasant.

Until...

"Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails came on the radio. "Hurt" is a very inappropriate song to have to hear while eating a braised tofu sandwich. Or any sandwich, really. It was almost as bad as having to hear Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" while eating a bowl of noodles.

Comments (16) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Look on the bright side, at least you get to hear someone sing it instead of having to hear a 70 year old man mumble it in a monotone.
Posted by jath on February 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
chimsquared 2
If you cared about enjoying lunch, you wouldn't eat tofu.
Posted by chimsquared on February 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
Zebes 3
Holy crap that sounds like the most delicious sandwich ever, and the cilantro and jalapenos would only make it better. I could enjoy that sandwich even if Hurt was playing. I could enjoy that sandwich even during the shittiest of speedcore or dubstep nonsense.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on February 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM · Report this
A tofu sandwich is pre-ruined, by definition.
Posted by also on February 21, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
More, I Say! 5
Sounds like a super-fancy Bahn Mi. I heard they make one there, but is this it?
Posted by More, I Say! on February 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 6
I love Baguette Box. I'm okay with "Hurt" (NIN and/or Cash), but "Closer" could be problematic.
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on February 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
@5 - Super fancy Bahn Mi is exactly what they make at Baguette Box (that's basically all they make). It's good, but at 2-3x more than the real thing, it's a hard sell for cheapskates (myself included).
Posted by kap0w on February 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 8
I love that tofu baguette. Even though I've gone there reliably for lunch for years and years, the weekday crew has never added jalapeƱo slices to mine. This is not a complaint.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on February 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Foghorn Leghorn 9
Yeah I think Closer is much more inappropriate where food is concerned.

A couple weeks ago some friends and I were roasting a whole pig in the backyard. As it was all trussed up in the smoke there, I said "Hey, it's like that NIN song." Friend: *weird look* "You mean Closer?" "Hahaha No. Piggy! Hey pig. Piggy pig pig." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NOYCzRzZ… Which is a perfect song to eat (even a tofu) sandwich by,
Posted by Foghorn Leghorn on February 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM · Report this
McGee 10
I don't see why it is such a big deal for Reznor to ruin a sandwich. He's been ruining music for years.
Posted by McGee on February 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
Rubykelp 11
Punishment for eating a tofu sandwich. Tofu. Feh.
Posted by Rubykelp on February 21, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Phony angst is plenty fun.
Posted by Meat Weapon on February 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM · Report this
Machete 13
The best song to eat to is A.D.I.D.A.S.
All Day I Dream About Snacks.
Posted by Machete on February 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM · Report this
Knat 14
"Hurt" isn't a good song to have to hear while you're eating, but as others have said, "Closer" would be immeasurably worse. Given my experiences, I'm afraid of what sort of Pavlovian response that song might illicit if I heard that during a meal in a public setting.
Posted by Knat on February 21, 2012 at 11:55 PM · Report this
Am I seriously reading this? What a bunch of fucking weenies you all are.

@McGee: Clearly you've never heard "Ruiner."
Posted by stimpy on February 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this
McGee 16
@15 Heard and dismissed. Reznor is a shit merchant and a rip-off artist.
Posted by McGee on February 22, 2012 at 5:30 PM · Report this