Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, March 19, 2012

Seattle's Punk Fashion of Yore

Posted by on Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

As previously mention here, there's an endless array of vintage Seattle punk videos on nearSeattle84's YouTube channel, but these two television clips from 1983 (or 1984) shows a wackily dressed group of Seattle alterna-types explaining their individuality to a drab local talk show host. The show was called Town Meeting and I think the host is Ken Schram, feel free to confirm or correct this fact.

Watch carefully, you or somebody you know might be seen in this footage! If you're short on time, skip to the fashion show in the second clip to see the hot punker looks of yesteryear.

Thanks a lot, Carlene + Joe!

Comments (11) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
LEE. 1
In before someone like Fnarf says there were no punks after 1978 in New York or 1981 in England or some other arbitrary bullshit.
Posted by LEE. on March 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM · Report this
Oh man, from the title I thought you were going to tell me that Ken Shram used to be a cool punk rocker back in the day.
Posted by kathy. on March 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
I love that you guys repost this every now and then. One of my favorite things is DJ Dana Andrews' digitization of what he claimed was the 1982 Monastery Red Party set (others swear it was impossible to get a skip-free mixtape off the Monastery's hanging turntables). I learned about it from Terry's post long ago:

These video clips are a great reminder of what evahbody musta looked like that epic night long ago.
Posted by gloomy gus on March 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM · Report this
My posse is on Broadway.
Posted by six shooter on March 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM · Report this
Gern Blanston 5
Kill Lou Guzzo!
Posted by Gern Blanston on March 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
Roosevelt 6
Looks more like Nu Wave and The Cure.
Posted by Roosevelt http://www.youtube.com/user/matthewcobrien?feature=mhum on March 19, 2012 at 12:14 PM · Report this
The new wavers when I was growing up thought they were punk, that's for sure.
Posted by six shooter on March 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM · Report this
Estey 8
@5 AND FREE THE VANCOUVER FIVE!!!
Posted by Estey on March 19, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 9
@5 - A bit before my time, but I picked up that Dehumanizers 7" a couple months back on the recommendation of Kurt at Easy Street (Queen Anne).
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on March 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM · Report this
michijo 10
This video reminds me of the phrase "the past was a different country". What are we going to do with hippy conservatives BTW? I am also sick of them, like Bill Clinton and Obama. I dont think they really like change.
Posted by michijo on March 31, 2012 at 9:36 PM · Report this
michijo 11
I watched a film called "Je suis né d'une cigogne" tonight. Near the beginning, the lead char was offered an opportunity to be a volunteer worker, perhaps with Romanian children, as he was unemployed. Instead he snubbed the offer and went wild, violating bourgeois morals. But in the end, sitting in a nest with woman, middle class at last. More dangerous to society to help Romanian children than to spray-paint a wall perhaps.
Posted by michijo on March 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM · Report this