Line Out Music & the City at Night

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

HOLY SHIT: Ayron Jones Is Really Good at the Guitar

Posted by on Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Want to see someone play the guitar? And I mean REALLY play the guitar? Then put Ayron Jones and the Way on your radar. Dude can fucking SHRED. And, according to the band's website, he's only 25-years-old and self-taught.

I caught Ayron Jones and the Way's set at the Hard Rock Cafe on Friday—they were performing in the Hard Rock Rising finals and I was an unsuspecting judge—and their set was one of the most entertaining performances I've seen so far this year.

They play hard, soulful blues. Think Hendrix or a heavier Stevie Ray Vaughn. Jones plays on a wireless amp, and at one point he leapt off he stage, went to the back of the room, down the stairs to Hard Rock's main dining area, playing all the while. Minutes later he came up the staircase on the other side of the room, laughing to himself from the stage while everyone in the audience was still facing the other way wondering where the fuck he went.

Sometimes he played one-handed. Sometimes he reached up, mid-guitar solo, and fixed the bill of his cap. Sometimes he played while holding the guitar behind his head. He's a total showboat, but, like... c'mon. When you're that good at guitar you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Seattle is loving blues and soul again—take Allen Stone's popularity, for example—but Seattle's blues/soul revival don't mean shit without a little love for Ayron Jones and the Way, too. Ayron Jones and the Way play the High Dive Sunday, April 1st. The show is free.

And here's the band in action:

Comments (7) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
pasteyboy 1
Awesome. My favorite part was Miller Time's commentary toward the very end. I'd like to see the drummer and bass player do a solo as well.
Posted by pasteyboy http://pjorno.com on March 28, 2012 at 5:43 PM · Report this
anthonyebriscoe 2
best drummer in seattle is conrad real also plays for down north just sayin :)
Posted by anthonyebriscoe http://www.downnorth.net on March 28, 2012 at 6:15 PM · Report this
Mahtli69 3
If only he played more funk.
Posted by Mahtli69 on March 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM · Report this
Lead guitarists that can do their own vocals are amazing.

He can carry SRV's torch nicely. Great talent.
Posted by bluesnews on March 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM · Report this
I'm the guy who shot this video. I, too, was an unsuspecting judge in the first round of the Hard Rock Rising competition, when I was whooped upside the head with the surgical bludgeoning of this young man's axemastery.

And the drummer? Holy crap, that dude was wailing, too! He was playing on a house kit, and just simply wailed.

Definitely go and see these guys and get your ass kicked. You owe it to yourself.
Posted by 12th Fan View on March 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM · Report this
The Squeegee 6
promising stuff, thanks for the post! :-) That noted, I must add that I won't be filing Ayron under "Holy Shit" anytime soon; I reserve superlatives of that sort for string-benders that kick out less standard riffs and stylings. Don't get me wrong - I dig a good SRV tribute, esp. after a handful o' beers at da club... and I know that AJ is young and perhaps NOT AT ALL set in his ways... but as an old sayin' kinda goes: if ya wanna be like Bill Monroe (or JIMI), don't imitate him... go out and create your very own musical THANG. So... here's sincerely hopin' that this undoubtedly talented up & coming SeaTown slinger tones down his BLUES HAMMER-ISMS (see: Ghost World) in the coming years. Otherwise, he'll end up nothin' more than a budweiser-soaked blip along the blues guitar timeline, a la non-innovators such as Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Johnny Lang. Or, heaven forbid, he'll end up perpetually co-billed with cheese-filled blues "shredders" like Joe Bonamassa... ;-) p.s. - "Yeah, well, you know, this is just, like, my opinion, man..." 8)
Posted by The Squeegee http://TheSqueegee.com on April 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
@The Squeegee

Everyone has a right to their opinion but I'm wondering if you have attended an Ayron Jones and The Way show? If so, I can take your comment more seriously. If not, I think you should.
Posted by DeAndre Enrico on April 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM · Report this