Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tupac at Coachella and/or Trotting Dead People Out Onstage: YAY OR NAY?

Posted by on Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Tupac backstage at Coachella, err, I mean, at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum
  • Kelly O
  • Tupac backstage at Coachella, err, I mean, at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum

The full Coachella "performance"...

I'm just getting back from weekend one of Coachella. I have lots of pictures yet to come, but can I say, first, I'm still reeling from seeing Tupac Shakur rise from the dead? The Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg festival grand finale was killing me 'cause it was so amazing and flawlessly executed (think: 20 years of Snoop and Dre classics including an NWA song, then live onstage cameos by Wiz Khalifa and his pro-pot smokey song "Young, Wild and Free", Kendrick Lamar with Dre on new song "The Recipe," 50 Cent and early jams like "Wanksta" and "In Da Club", and Eminem performing "Forgot About Dre.")

It was fun, standing waaaay back in what must have been the two-hundredth row, and guessing the rappers as they hit the stage and the giant video jumbotrons. When a tattooed, shirtless mystery guy appeared—everyone standing near us argued who it could possibly be. I said, "Whoever that is, it sure looks like Tupac." It wasn't until the end of the set, that my theory was confirmed. Was it creepy to see a man, murdered over a decade ago, walking and talking to the audience? ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY.

More importantly is this technology the mark of a new concert trend?

UPDATE, VIA PITCHFORK: "2Pac Hologram Might Be Going on Tour: This is just the beginning. Dre has a massive vision for this."

Comments (24) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Larry Mizell, Jr. 1
Shit is disgusting. 2Pac was not on good terms with those cats at the end of his life. Why not tribute an actual loved one of his, like Eazy? The intent feels all wrong.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on April 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM · Report this
julie russell 2
I second Eazy. Or rather...We Want Eazy
Posted by julie russell http:// on April 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
Jenny from the Block 3
A bunch of hippie white kids dancing awkwardly to a computer-generated Tupac? No thanks.
Posted by Jenny from the Block on April 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this
dontrelle 4
So lame on every conceivable level. Would definitely go see a full show of this, however...

Posted by dontrelle on April 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM · Report this
awful, creepy, stupid.
Posted by gi on April 17, 2012 at 12:39 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 6
Kurt and Jimmy are touring with me next summer.

Hey, why not?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on April 17, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
Jim Morrison, flashing.

Posted by judybrowni on April 17, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Its Coachella. Gimmicky over the top stuff like this kind of makes sense. A tour would be bad news though.
Posted by Chester Copperpot on April 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM · Report this
Certainly! 9
I think it's creepy. And shameless. The dead artist doesn't get any say in how his "image" is used, marketed, and capitalized upon.
Posted by Certainly! on April 17, 2012 at 1:29 PM · Report this
Timrrr 10
Hmmm...

I'll wait for the Hologram Biggie vs Hologram Tupac - East vs West to the Pixel Deathâ„¢ Tour, thanks anyway.
Posted by Timrrr on April 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
Fnarf 11
It's a cross between that TV commercial with Fred Astaire dancing with the vacuum cleaner and that ridiculous "dancing baby" video that was all the rage a decade ago. Heavy, man.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on April 17, 2012 at 1:47 PM · Report this
Posted by Kelly O on April 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM · Report this
It's always about money. It's not about doing right by Tupac's music - it's about making money.

Pathetic. I hope Dre and Snopp's image rights get used like this after they're dead.
Posted by westello on April 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM · Report this
New [hologram only] lineup!!!

Posted by Kelly O on April 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
blip 15
This is so wrong in so many obvious ways I can't believe anyone thought it was a good idea. Like Dre doesn't have enough connections with living, breathing, consenting artists to tour with. What kind of idiot wants to see a fucking CGI concert anyway? Wrong wrong wrong. WRONG!
Posted by blip on April 17, 2012 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 16
Tupac's mother agreed to allow his image to be used and claims to have been thrilled with the holographic performance. To thank her for letting him be virtually resurrected, Dre donated to Tupac's foundation. [TMZ].
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on April 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
If I'm forced to view a dead-person hologram, I'd rather see it:
1) As a Coachella stage gimick than as a fullblown tour itself
2) Be shirtless Tupac instead of Will.I.Am
3) Live on stage rather than on TV watching Anderson Cooper desperately trying to pretend like he is not creeped out talking to a fake robotic cloud of Will.I.Am.

That said, I don't get why people are being so uptight about this. Frankly, I'd have rather preferred a hologram Nate Dogg over Tupac.

And also, don't you kinda think that Hologram Dead-Person performance, exclusively in technical nature, isn't that much conceptually different from Lasar Shows? Just me? Just sayin.
Posted by Wedgwood99 on April 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM · Report this
Oh yeah, this is the same hologram that everyone talked about yesterday and forgot about last night. Thanks again Line Out. Wait till you hear about thom yorke's new ponytail.
Posted by Thanks on April 17, 2012 at 9:37 PM · Report this
bedipped 19
When's the Hemingway/Plath reading at Hugo House?
Posted by bedipped on April 17, 2012 at 9:46 PM · Report this
LEE. 20
I don't see what y'all are so bummed/freaked out abou...oooohgawdaaaauuuggghhhhh!!!!
Posted by LEE. on April 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM · Report this
The Future is a tacky asshole.
Posted by GDS on April 18, 2012 at 7:35 AM · Report this
thatsnotright 22
After-club shootings with holographic bullets would be an improvement.
Posted by thatsnotright on April 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Weak.

Now if they reanimated the man's corpse and made it sing and dance, now that would be impressive!

Zombie Tupac Tour 2012!
Posted by Rawwwrr! Zombie Tupac wants brainz, bitchez!! on April 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
Those who speak ill of this are the ones being disrespectful if anything. No one really knows what their relationships were when he died. I don't agree with the title though "not a good sign for humanity?" You Can't be serious man... As for the music, the 1st to do a double hip hop album and the first one to be immortalized as a Hologram. Who would you rather see, a role model? Booorring...
Posted by Godz on April 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM · Report this