Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Trans Am is the Reason Keith Moon Took 15 Horse Tranquilizers. See: Chaotic Ergodicity

Posted by on Thu, May 3, 2012 at 10:57 AM

In 1973, the Who drummer Keith Moon took fifteen horse tranquilizers and chased them with brandy before a show on the Quadrophenia tour. It was at the Cow Palace in Daly City, CA. Moon passed out soon after, during “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” It’s never been revealed, but the reason Moon was so fired up and horse pill swallowing, was that he’d been listening to Trans Am’s 1997 song “Carboforce.” Via a crack in the space-time continuum, Moon heard the song, even though it hadn’t been recorded yet. A sonic plane had ripped and shifted in the parallel multiverse, (where time is wound around a separate and chaotic ergodicity), and a vinyl pressing of Trans Am’s Surrender to the Night shot from an obelisk portal and landed on the turntable in Moon’s dressing room. While getting ready to play, Moon heard the song, became aroused, and commanded, “Someone get me some fucking horse tranquilizers, I’m fucking Keith Moon.”

Er·god·ic (adj) : of or pertaining to the condition that, in an interval of sufficient duration, a system will return to states that are closely similar to previous ones: the assumption of such a condition underlies statistical methods used in modern dynamics and atomic theory. In Moon’s case, the state he was returning to was unconsciousness, that of being unborn. Nothingness. Endlessness. Void.

A pre-existent void to which Moon returned: Where the band Trans Am rides titan machine thoroughbreds 40 hands high.

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Anna Anna Anna 1
Trent! You are slaying me lately.
Posted by Anna Anna Anna on May 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM · Report this
Anna Anna Anna 2
Seriously great song, band, album. I've never seen the footage of the Moon debacle. Very entertaining. That man burned his wick fast that's for sure. I thought the rest of the band handled it pretty well actually, the horse tranquilizer episode, that is.
Posted by Anna Anna Anna on May 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 3
There are two absolute gems on this record, and this is one of them. I once listened to Futureworld on repeat as I drove a rented car through heavy storm weather from Boston to NYC in the middle of the night on 36 hours with no sleep. Pretty sure I entered another dimension for a while.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on May 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM · Report this
I would try maybe half a tranquilizer and some brandy. I'm no Moon though. Half Moon. Get it, Half Moon?!

I had not heard this album. Shit is dope. I know Sex Change but not this one. Am getting it.
Posted by Samanthal on May 3, 2012 at 9:57 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 5
@ Samanthal: I'd start with Futureworld. Surrender to the Night has two great tracks on it, but much of it is pretty out-there/experimental and not as propulsive as this. Unless, you know, that's your thing too.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on May 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM · Report this