Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, May 7, 2012

Some Old Bullshit: The Beastie Boys Few Knew

Posted by on Mon, May 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Before Beastie Boys went rap and exploded with License to Ill, they thrashed about in a rather different genre—although the similarities in the ethos of rap/hiphop and punkk/hardcore cannot be discounted. Some Old Bullshit is a collection of recordings from the early '80s, when Beastie Boys came to rise in the early New York City hardcore scene. Tracks 1 and 10 were taped from Tim Sommer's "Noise The Show" radio program. Tracks 2–9 are from Pollywog Stew EP. Tracks 11–14 are from Cooky Puss EP. Cooky Puss is where you'll hear them start to transition into what they'd later become. That sense of humor was an essential part of their steez from the get go.

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
r.chops 1
Many also collected on versions of Killed by Death vol 1, which is now depressing to say.
Posted by r.chops on May 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM · Report this
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM · Report this
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM · Report this
nipper 4
Ack...it's still terrible, they were a sad faced joke THEN and certainly didn't "rise" to anything in NYC. It's only on this side of the '80s has the BB HC shit gotten respect. I'm sure their HC phase was just that...
Posted by nipper on May 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM · Report this
michijo 5
I actually considered this to be a good album from them. I had it when I was 16 years old and it amused the shit out of me, especially that song with the slide-whistle, Beastie Revolution:

When I was homeless younger later, I met a kid who had it, and we were both homeless and hid in a church doorway playing it on a little stereo.

I wish they had of made more of this humorous weird punk music rather than the all too obvious rap.
Posted by michijo on May 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM · Report this