Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, May 24, 2012

UPDATE: Bumbershoot to Skip Flatstock This Year[?]

Posted by on Thu, May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

A tip last week suggested that Bumbershoot organizers One Reel may not be including American Poster Institute's Flatstock at this year's festival. I sent out an e-mail last Wednesday, and One Real Associate Director Aubbie Beal responded to my e-mail late yesterday with this statement: "It's true that Flatstock is taking a break from Bumbershoot this year due to current space constraints. However, we are hopeful that we will find a mutually agreeable, suitable location for them next year, when new spaces become available after the Next 50 Celebration has ended."

And a request to reply with any further questions. With such a vague, PR-speak answer, of course I had further questions. This morning I replied with three:

Do you have concrete plans to reincorporate Flatstock in 2013, or is it still open to negotiation?

Were there other factors influencing this decision?

Why wasn't room elsewhere in the festival made for Flatstock?

Beal has yet to respond to the questions, but I will update this post as soon as she does. I also have an unanswered e-mail into American Poster Institute.

UPDATE: Geoff Peveto of API contacted me late last night saying he could talk tomorrow, but then failed to respond further today despite another attempt to contact him. Then this afternoon, Beal replied with this:

I have just spoken with Geoff Peveto from API, and it seems there was a misunderstanding on our part, which has been resolved. I'll be sharing some new information with him about the alternative space we had previously presented, and he's going to share that with his team for reconsideration. We still don't know if it's going to work in 2012, but we've enjoyed a collaborative and friendly working relationship for nearly 10 years, so we are both hopeful.

Comments (24) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Megan Seling 1
That is such a bummer. I love Flatstock. That said, I think Flatstock should come to Seattle and be hosted somewhere with a lower admission price (or no admission price? Or suggested donation?) so people can afford to give their money to the artists. That'd be a dream come true!
Posted by Megan Seling on May 23, 2012 at 3:58 PM · Report this
wisepunk 2
Huh. Flatstock has been the most dependable part of bumbershoot for the last 8 years. Of course they should get rid of it.
Posted by wisepunk on May 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Simone 3
I wonder what's changed in regards to venues/spaces availible since last year?

I like the idea that Flatstock could benefit from a location/day not associated with $40 a day ticket fee.
Posted by Simone on May 23, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
Jeff Kirby 4
After looking at that dismal music lineup, I really thought I didn't have any shits left to give about Bumbershoot this year... but look at that. I stand corrected. NOW I am officially out of shits to give.
Posted by Jeff Kirby on May 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
You're jumping to a lot of conclusions there. That Bumbershoot is skipping Flatstock vs. Flatstock "taking a break from Bumbershoot," that they didn't try to make room elsewhere (perhaps they did and Flatstock wasn't happy with it). Might it be better to just wait 'til you have answers before publishing a rabble-rousing blog post? Just a thought.
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on May 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM · Report this
COMTE 6
Damn, I was hoping to pick up some more Billy Perkins prints this year... :(
Posted by COMTE on May 23, 2012 at 4:24 PM · Report this
Mary P. Traverse 7
This REALLY bums me out. I like your idea, Megan @1.
Posted by Mary P. Traverse http://dinosaurnews.tumblr.com on May 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM · Report this
flatstock is usually the one thing i genuinely enjoy about the 'shoot.

most of my all-time fave bands have given lackluster performances. bands i look forward to checking out play at weird times to bored, wandering crowds. but flatstock... it's always there for you, and you actually get to interact with a lot of the artists.

except when it's not.
Posted by deepconcentration on May 23, 2012 at 4:32 PM · Report this
What’s the deal with Bumbershoot? They have the space and they have a great holiday weekend. They could be a fantastic festival, instead it’s just mediocre at best and its been that way for years. Instead of trying to appeal to everyone in a very half-assed way, they need to pick a direction and go with it.
If I was them I’d be looking at how the Fun Fun Fun fest in Austin is put on. Their booking is pretty great and they have a nice mix of acts that go together. They get the clubs around town to cooperate and hold after hours concerts, so bands that are playing the festival are also playing gigs around town.
Just an idea. And also, Flatstock is one of the great parts of Bumbershoot. Not holding it this year is another poor decision.
Posted by Conrad McMasters on May 23, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 10
Yeah, Megan's idea! I'd love to just be able to go to Flatstock without paying to go to Bumbershoot.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on May 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM · Report this
dan10things 11
Kick LiveNation out instead, they suck!!!!
Posted by dan10things http://10thingszine.blogspot.com on May 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM · Report this
dan10things 12
Megan, they need a lot of space and that kind of space is at a premium in Seattle, especially with the upcoming loss of the Seattle Center's NW Rooms. I help put on the NW Pinball and Arcade Show and we've been doing it at the NW Rooms for 5 years, but as that space disappears and we are looking around at the next location, we are finding them very very spendy. Even the NW Rooms are over 8 grand for a 3 day weekend, so finding a cheap or free space seems very very unlikely even with charging the artists to table like most conventions do. But still, I'd pay $20 admission to Flatstock.
Posted by dan10things http://10thingszine.blogspot.com on May 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM · Report this
Bumbershoot isn't the only festival having issues with space availability at Seattle Center this year because of the Next 50 shit. Folklife isn't offering a "kids play area" this year, because of the Next 50 Pavilion taking up the concrete lot west of EMP.
Posted by beansbeansbeans on May 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM · Report this
Chihuly museum should host it.
Posted by badempire on May 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM · Report this
Too bad. And I had my print demos all set up with assistance from the VeraProject this year. I will miss not doing Flatstock in Seattle if this doesn't play out.

Oh well, enjoy whatever they stick in the Fisher Pavilion this year. One Reel is the boss in this. Start a write-in campaign to tell them to change their mind.

Flatstock is still on in 2 weeks at the Primavera Sound Festival in Barcelona Sp, then Pitchfork in Chicago, then Hamburg in Germany in Sept. And of course SXSW in Austin, where they welcome us into the Convention Centre and bend over backwards to make it great.
Posted by Andymac on May 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM · Report this
Guess I'm not going to Seattle this year. Thanks, B'shoot, I'll spend my money elsewhere...like in Austin, where Flatstock will be next March.

Harrumph.
Posted by Compton on May 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM · Report this
DOUG. 17
One Reel is awesome at spinning gold into shit.
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on May 23, 2012 at 8:30 PM · Report this
Grrr 18
It's one thing I look forward to each time B-shoot happens. What better way to spend the time between music performances? I was ready to drop coin again to track down prints of events attended over the previous year. That's such downer news.
Posted by Grrr on May 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM · Report this
This news seriously lessens my enthusiasm for Bumbershoot (the musical booking has been an ongoing issue ever since One Reel first allied with a national agency; prices go up but quality stagnates). I bought the 3-day pass back in December, so they already have my money, but Flatstock is one of my favorite things about the festival. It's also the place I spend most of my discretionary income over the weekend.
Posted by serotonein on May 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM · Report this
As a participating local artist, this is a huge blow. So unfortunate that this would happen in Seattle of all places, where music and the culture surrounding it is so integral to life here. Most of us poster designers are a pretty behind the scenes bunch, not necessarily appreciated for what we do outside of the scene. But Flatstock has given us a collective voice and really fantastic way to showcase our work as it deserves to be. There is so much talent and diversity year after year, and the community response has always been positive. I truly hope some kind of solution can be agreed upon. Until then, thanks for the support guys.
Posted by Frida Clements on May 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
LAME! and the bill sucks this year to boot, or maybe I'm just getting old. Time to schedule out of town travel plans rather than attend the no metal no flatstock bumbershoot
Posted by yabbadabbasabbath on May 24, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
What about that $8.75 surcharge on tickets.
Posted by That's lame. on May 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM · Report this
Make it happen folks. One of the better parts of Bumbershoot!!!!
Posted by GR8Dane on May 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM · Report this
i guess this resolves everything said above.
don't count your chickens before they hatch mr. brissey!
Posted by mikeklay on June 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM · Report this