Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, May 24, 2012

chicBuds: EARO OR ZERO?

Posted by on Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Arts-header3.jpg

Today's email deluge included this missive; I've added commentary in brackets:

Women today want everything to be a reflection of their style. [TWO GROSS GENERALIZATIONS IN THE FIRST SENTENCE. WELL DONE!] And with chicBuds bridging the gap between fashion and music technology, your favorite gadgets can now be accessorized with your look! Austere ear buds are a thing of the past [AUSTERE EAR BUDS? WELL, I NEVER!], with the newest addition to the chicBuds collection: ARTS! ARTS inner ear buds combine modern design with contemporary patterns and styles. Women can wear Zebra Stripes to mirror their wild side [BECAUSE NOTHING SCREAMS "WILD" LIKE ZEBRA STRIPES.], Pink Leopard to match their summer brights, and Blue Graffiti to capture that edgy cool vibe [FUTURA 2000 IS VERY HAPPY FOR YOU.].

Let's have a poll to determine if chicBuds are a good idea.

Comments (20) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
bunnypuncher 1
Ear buds are the worst, period.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on May 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM · Report this
whoa these are amazing!!! I have never seen earbud cords like this! I'm purchasing them right now- thank you
Posted by jessica101 on May 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Clearly Bunnypuncher you have no sense of style or taste which I think the earbuds totally have! Of course you don't like them silly!:) xo
Posted by Alishad123 on May 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 4
@2 - Pretty sure Beats by Dre have the same cord on their earbuds.

@3 - First, I said nothing about how they look, just that earbuds sound like shit. Second, you obviously don't know a damn thing about me or my style. Keep talking tho, stay mad, all that.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on May 24, 2012 at 4:01 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 5
Also: doesn't Skullcandy already have the market cornered on gaudy headphones/earbuds that sound like shit?
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on May 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM · Report this
cosby 6
What is wrong with austere design? Is that supposed to be a bad thing or did someone use their thesaurus incorrectly?
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on May 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM · Report this
cosby 7
@2 & 3:
Thanks for signing up to the blog to defend your own product. That doesn't seem tacky at all (unlike the design of these earbuds).
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on May 24, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
@1 and @7 this runs over to feeds so didn't know new people (namely women) can't comment on this site. Didn't know this website was a BOYS club.
Posted by jessica101 on May 24, 2012 at 5:26 PM · Report this
I suppose you like your women barefoot and in the kitchen, no fun allowed!
Posted by Honestnotmodest on May 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 10
LOLOLOLOL
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on May 24, 2012 at 7:53 PM · Report this
LEE. 11
a hundred years ago that copywriter would have been sealed into a rum barrel and set afloat in Niagra Falls.

also, Dave is channeling his inner Lindy West here quite well.
Posted by LEE. on May 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 12
These are awful. Tee hee to all of the paid commenters who just *love them*!
Posted by Canadian Nurse on May 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM · Report this
I never realized an electronic accessory could inspire such collective vitriol. (Yes I never.) Granted, the ChicBuds people couldn't afford to hire Aaron Sorkin as a copywriter, but most of the hyperbole we read in today's retail catalogs and online stores is no better. Why pick on these people? At least they've made an attempt at whimsy in a world where playfulness is in short supply.
Is wearing a headset with a pattern louder than the maximum volume on the device it's connected to a bit silly? Sure, but we can stand to laugh a little more right now.
You want to talk pandering? This country is in the midst of an economic crisis of epic proportions. College is bankrupting families even as students graduate with no job prospects in sight. Corporations are lobbying for "right to work" legislation all over the country to put an end to collective bargaining. And the remaining members of our middle class are fighting to keep their homes. Meanwhile, banks continue to play "luck be a lady tonight" with ill-conceived derivatives schemes, recasting the FDIC as a safety net for risky commercial banking investments. Oh yes, and we may well go to war with Iran to secure a strategic position in the politically precarious Persian Gulf now that the Pakistanis hate us and Iraq and Afghanistan aren't exactly stable. (We need to keep the oil flowing and those defense contractors happy.) Never mind that Iran is years away from an actual nuclear weapons program....we can make up something.
So...... if I want the distraction afforded by popping in some silly-looking tiger striped earphones and cruising down the street in my comfy sweats and Chuck Taylor's as I listen wistfully to old Donna Summer tunes on my iPod...well, that is my perogative. Now stop raining on my parade, Mr. Crankypants. You'll short out the ChicBuds....
More...
Posted by notaspringchicken on May 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM · Report this
Re: ChicBuds: I was typing too fast and it got the best of me. I left out a crucial "p." That's prerogative. Mea culpa.
Posted by notaspringchicken on May 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM · Report this
LEE. 15
@13

"Why pick on these people?"

Short answer: life is too long.
Posted by LEE. on May 25, 2012 at 12:26 AM · Report this
While I have no love for sexist marketing, any girl silly enough to purchase these (very likely crappy) headphones based on "zebra stripes" deserves to be fleeced.

Shit like this is why we need feminists.
Posted by woof on May 25, 2012 at 8:12 AM · Report this
MusicJunkie 17
@13 your comment made me mentally jump for joy. Props!

Dave it musta been a slow day for you aye? This is trite to say the least, even for you.

"Now stop raining on my parade, Mr. Crankypants. You'll short out the ChicBuds...." ---Rolling on the floor laughing!
Posted by MusicJunkie on May 25, 2012 at 9:06 AM · Report this
My ancient Sennheiser open-air 'phones deliver amazing sound, and are yellow and black (but not rectangular) like the mighty Killer Bee.
Posted by Gerald Fnord on May 25, 2012 at 9:34 PM · Report this
I like my austere-buds.... but I'm totally not the target market, so.
Posted by Nitidiuscula on May 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM · Report this
I have these earbuds which have great sound and fun patterns for an extra fashion flair. Really love them and worth you checking out!
Posted by Cyncia on May 30, 2012 at 8:37 PM · Report this