Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, May 25, 2012

Rob McKenna's Favorite Band Is Nickelback

Posted by on Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Skelator Rob McKenna told Yakima's 94.5 FM "The Rock Station" that his favorite band is Nickelback. What is wrong with this? Well if you need to ask this question, I will answer it in four parts:

1: Nickelback

2: Nickelback are Canadian (What sort of red-blooded American counts a Canadian quartet as his favorite band?)

3: This picture.

4: Their songs:

Comments (24) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Meanwhile? Yesterday Jay Inslee had lunch at the Pearl Jam studio.
Posted by whitney ricketts on May 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM · Report this
merry 2
OMG

I didn't think I could find this person any more distasteful than I already do...

I was wrong. :(
Posted by merry on May 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM · Report this
Really, really, really reaching here to take a swipe. Just more of the cool kid swagger from the gang at the Slog.
Posted by marisatsume on May 25, 2012 at 3:32 PM · Report this
seandr 4
Thanks a lot, Grant, I'll never unhear that.
Posted by seandr on May 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Every once in a while I land on Spirit 105.3 and as always, they're playing a highly derivative anthem or ballad, and I think: "they're imitating some horrible secular band, but who?"

And now I know: it's Nickelback. Nickelback is the model for praise music.
Posted by Meat Weapon on May 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
DeaconBlues 6
Hahaha WOW

That's terrible

My money was on the Eagles
Posted by DeaconBlues http://radzillas.blogspot.com/ on May 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Dear God, I can't stand I-V-IV-iv-V progressions. It's 50's pop chords with evangelical emotionalism. Horrible.
Posted by Zach Shaner on May 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM · Report this
sperifera 8
@3: Meh. Grow a pair. I sure wish I had some mind bleach after watching that video.
Posted by sperifera on May 25, 2012 at 3:53 PM · Report this
The Max 9
Meh. I agree that most of the NB I've heard sounds like wannabe Christian Metal. More explicitly, sound like a band that can't figure out whether they want to be Christian or want to be Metal. Not my scene. But still, as a reason not to vote for Rob McKenna? Fuck you. I don't give a shit what sort of music Obama rocks out to (though I'm sure it rules) or what gets Romney's head banging (though I don't doubt it's unlistenable). Policy, character, ability. These are the only three things that should matter.
Posted by The Max on May 25, 2012 at 3:56 PM · Report this
Nickleback is our go-to answer for whiny bubblegum rock that we can't identify at pub trivia.

About half the time, it's correct.
Posted by K on May 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM · Report this
@9. I think what music you like, in addition to what TV and movies you like, actually says a lot about you. Remember when Newt Gingrich (the 90s one, not the 2010s one) hosted TNT's Our Favorite Movies? He said Boys Town was his favorite movie because it showed "an alternative to the modern welfare state, that gives you the sense of ... the importance of the private sector" in providing social services. This revelation gave an insight to the world Newt Gingrich would like to see, and he was lambasted over it, and rightly so.

I'm much more likely to vote for a candidate that likes, say, U2 (let's be reasonable here), than, say, Pat Boone. (Unless it's the rock covers album. That might be excusable.) I think that betrays quite a bit about the person.
Posted by K on May 25, 2012 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Zebes 12
When told his taste in music "sucks," McKenna is reported to have replied with, "Get a job!" with an added "Loser!" for emphasis.
Posted by Zebes http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.html on May 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM · Report this
bedipped 13
While admitting there is no good answer to that question for a politician, that is not a good answer.
Posted by bedipped on May 25, 2012 at 4:31 PM · Report this
biffp 14
Grant, you misspelled Skeletor.

@3, why don't you just admit you like Nickelback, and shut your damn yap.
Posted by biffp on May 25, 2012 at 4:34 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 15
for the first minute and a half i was secretly wishing that someone would let loose a pride of ravenous lions to tear them to pieces in that arena.
am i bad ?
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on May 25, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
But how do you feel about that photo, Riz?
Posted by paulus on May 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 17
@16 at first glance i thought it heavily photoshopped. not that i usually recognize these things. and then i thought maybe he'd look better from the back. and then i watched the video. i'm still waiting for them lions
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on May 25, 2012 at 5:49 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 18
Speaking of that argument about rock being dead.

This:

So much afterward was unnecessary.

But I did listen to White's Blunderbus again.

Yes...it brings back that whole honkey-tonk element of classic rock that is sorely missed...

Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on May 25, 2012 at 6:07 PM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 19
Here's a great photo of Obama meeting Nickleback fans: http://imgur.com/gallery/pfqJ1
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on May 25, 2012 at 7:37 PM · Report this
Not familiar with Nickelback (as I'm not curious enough to look them up), but that song is lame. Good choice to support your point, although I doubt all their songs are this boring.

Nice picture, @19 (even if it's meant as a joke).

@11 Agree.
Posted by floater on May 25, 2012 at 7:56 PM · Report this
Puty 21
Our fucking right-wing extremist prime minister likes Nickelback too. Fuck Nickelback. They're what's wrong with Canada.
Posted by Puty on May 25, 2012 at 9:22 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 22
And how does this change the fact that Inslee's driving the failboat?
Posted by wilbur@work on May 25, 2012 at 10:04 PM · Report this
malcolmxy 23
Coulda been Creed...
Posted by malcolmxy on May 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM · Report this
Nice to see that mcKenna's favorite band promotes family values like the following lyrics :

I'm driving past your house while you were sneaking out
I got the car door opened up so you can jump in on the run
Your mom don't know that you were missing
She'd be pissed if she could see the parts of you that I've been kissing

Got your hand between my knees
And you control how fast we go by just how hard you wanna squeeze
It's hard to steer when you're breathing in my ear
I guess nobody ever taught her not to speak with a full mouth
Posted by D Dess on May 27, 2012 at 9:49 PM · Report this