Line Out Music & the City at Night

Sunday, May 27, 2012

As Heard in the Media Tent

Posted by on Sun, May 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM

The media tent at every music festival I've attended is usually filled with snacks, computer cords, cans of Red Bull and bulky ego blog writers (usually in a huff) talkin' hard (+ loud!) about music opinions. If you ever find yourself in such a place, eavesdrop on the live interviews if you can. They're usually a wonderful roller coaster ride of embarrassing and offensive. Yesterday I heard a man interviewing Jack White's drummer, Daru Jones. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the whole thing, but I did hear the interviewer assure Jones that he was a better drummer than Meg White, and found that his use of a bigger drum set was "refreshing" and was taking White's music to "another level." Then the interviewer asked Jones to explain Jack White's sound, and then asked Jones to list his personal influences. After a wonderful reply which included Christian Marclay, Yoshimi P-We and Max Roach, the interviewer informed Jones that the recorder hadn't recorded the interview. He then curtly excused himself, saying that he had to catch the Dry the River set over at the Esurance Yeti stage. He actually said, "Esurance Yeti stage."

Whats an IP address?
  • "What's an IP address?"

There's an older woman who shoots photos for Getty Images who curses at her computer for loading things slowly. She has most of her things splayed out on a table that can fit three people. She left it all there and wandered away to stand in line to buy corn dogs while smoking Kool cigarettes. I moved some of her things to a corner of the table while she was gone and she had an ultra spazz when she returned. She informed me that she'd been "working Sasquatch" longer than anybody else and that the table was reserved for her. I calmly explained to her that she was wrong and that she should take a "megapixel hike." She lumbered over to a security guard and explained that I had "stolen her table." He said that tables couldn't be reserved. She then let him know that she was the most important at the music festival. He then opened a bag of BBQ Popchips and ate them all in one bite. Popchips are pretty good when they're free!

Also heard in the media tent:

"The way that tUnE-yArDs juxtaposes sounds is just amazing."
"I'm here blogging for Pitchfork, but I'm really sick of the direction they're taking. I'm going to start my own blog."
"Is Hey Marseilles the band that choked that sound guy?"
"White people who listen to the Roots have no idea that the Roots hate white people."

PEOPLE = OH BROTHER.

Comments (9) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
CMRz 1
sounds like a dummy convention
Posted by CMRz http://www.cmrtyz.com on May 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM · Report this
you're my hero.
Posted by 8675309 on May 28, 2012 at 12:22 AM · Report this
Simone 3
I would have to be paid a lot of money to call the Yeti stage "Esurance Yeti stage." Or for that matter call any stage by it's sponsor name.

Someday that self-important photographer lady is going to find a few camera items missing when she ups and leaves her things to have a corn dog and smoke a fag. I wonder if I meet her at Bumbershoot? Probably not.

Any music people from CBC Radio 3 there?
Posted by Simone on May 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM · Report this
derek_erdman 4
I didn't notice anybody from CBC Radio 3. Everybody was really busy cursing the internet connection to have conversations with each other. The bathrooms were really nice though!
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on May 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM · Report this
I wondered what she was cursing about. Hallelujah for flushable toilets! Sad to see Ashley go!
Posted by go forth and prosper on May 29, 2012 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 6
"megapixel hike" and the popchips-swallowing guard made me grin
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on May 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
I want to hug you forever. Just saying.
Posted by Another media room girl. on May 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Bree Mckenna 8
Dude that Getty lady gave me the worst stink-eye for even being associated with you and Emily. Look what you did.
Posted by Bree Mckenna on May 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM · Report this
grapesofrad 9
I was in there Friday night with 4 or 5 other people, and Getty Lady started having a complete nervous breakdown because she couldn't connect to the wifi. Yelling, crying, slamming the table... We quickly exited. Total nutjob.
Posted by grapesofrad http://www.grapesofrad.com on May 30, 2012 at 1:48 PM · Report this