Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sasquatch Monday Photos: Beck & Spiritualized

Posted by on Tue, May 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Beck
  • Beck

You guys. Four days is just a lot of days of the Sasquatch Music Festival. By the time evening rolled around I'd succumbed to drinking American Sized cans of Bud Lite and leaving my camera in the beer garden instead of bringing it with me to take pictures of Spiritualized. Eternal hugs to the outstanding production team who recovered my gear, wheezing curses to the sprint up and down the steeper-every-time hill, and longing regrets for having to miss almost all of Spiritualized due to a schedule change that put them up against Beck due to a last-minute Mogwai cancellation (Deer Tick filled in with a "covers set" — Replacements and Nirvana, not Scottish post-rock).

We didn't make it through Beck's whole performance, but the first third was a veritable greatest hits collection with the set front-loaded with the likes of "Loser", "Sea Change", "Devil's Haircut", and a medley that included his take on Price's "Raspberry Beret." What we saw seemed entirely gimmick free: no puppets, light shows, or zany dance moves — just an assured performance drawing from an incredibly deep collection of beloved songs. I haven't followed Beck very closely over the years, yet found myself recogning just about everything and finding it difficult to tear myself away to return to the parking lot for the drive back to Ellensburg. Did anyone make it to the very end? Induce some jealously by letting me know what I missed.

A few more quick snaps of Beck and Spiritualized after the jump; more from the rest of the festival once we return to the warm embrace of Seattle this afternoon.

Spiritualized

Beck

Beck
  • Beck

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
tainte 1
saw beck in bend sunday and it was awesome. he's got the old band back together and he seems to be getting back to beck basics. if you left early you're either not a beck fan or a dumbass.
Posted by tainte on May 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 2
A little of both, I guess.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on May 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
This tour has way more to it musically than anything he's done since the early 2000s because the best band he ever had is back together, way more solos, way more long jammy-breakdowns, way more guitar-badassery, way energy and musical chemistry.

He also started the encore by playing "Muthafucka", an ancient "metal" joke song from the early 90s with Tenacious D. His kid son (six of seven years old?) then came on stage to dance with the D and sing along on E-Pro to close it out. It was incredible; so yeah, you messed up, bad.
Posted by algorhythm99 on May 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 4
Dudes! Thanks for recapping the finale.

Wish I had the endurance to stay, but I'm taking a merit badge for staying long after most of the crowd had hit the road AND missing Spiritualized for this. But you're right that I still feel a little guilty about it.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on May 29, 2012 at 4:52 PM · Report this
Oh! That hill! I came to see Spiritualized, but would have loved to see Beck if it weren't for that cursed hill! Best shots of Jason Pierce I've seen, btw.
Posted by katmet07 on May 31, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this