Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rack City Butte Rap

Posted by on Thu, May 31, 2012 at 9:09 PM

A moment ago. I'm in a bar called Acoma in Butte, Montana. I hear for the first time a track called "Rack City Bitch." My immediate impression? It must be a local rapper, some Montana cat the bar is proudly supporting; he has rap dreams of making it big, but no one has the guts to tell him the truth: he's wack and will never make it out of Butte. I was surprised to learn...

Comments (20) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
This is horrible rap. I cannot believe Nas just released a track called "Daughters" (which sounds great and has positive strong lyrics) but cannot get any mainstream air play while garbage like this is getting played on the radio everyday. It is sad to see elite rappers like Nas not being able to compete with these elementary rappers today. I blame the radio stations, music video channels (MTV, etc), and this generation (for requesting it).
Posted by main on June 1, 2012 at 4:36 AM · Report this
Cato the Younger Younger 2
I was surprised to learn there is a black guy in Montana
Posted by Cato the Younger Younger on June 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
Knat 3
@2: There won't be, once Mudede continues his trip.
Posted by Knat on June 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM · Report this
Yeah, this song has been pretty major on mainstream rap radio for a while. Of course, the title is changed to "Rack City Chick."

Tyga was in town a month or two ago and he sold out the Showbox Sodo. I suppose there's something to be said about how rappers like him, Wale and Big Sean sell out big venues like that here but E-40 and Main Attrakionz get their shows canceled or moved because they can't do big enough pre-sale numbers...
Posted by Mike Ramos on June 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM · Report this
When I first heard this song on the radio I thought the lyric was "rat city chick." I prefer my version.
Posted by thegreatertimes on June 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 6
Last time I was in Montana it was during the gays-in-the-military debate. Stuck in a rental car for hours, I listened to the radio. I wish I could unhear the hateful, mindless, psudo-religous, fearful shit I heard. It's hard to believe that's on the same planet as Seattle, let alone the same country.
Posted by Matt the Engineer on June 1, 2012 at 9:59 AM · Report this
seandr 7
If you ever tune into 93.3, you've heard this one.

While we're on the subject of hip hop, tell me this one by Rhianna is isn't the bomb. Go on tell me.
Posted by seandr on June 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM · Report this
Will in Seattle 8
Sounds fun!

They're doing the SIFF sponsored shows of the Hip Hop event "The Wiz" tonight at 7 and 9 pm, at the Triple Door downtown.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on June 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this
@Matt the Engineer: lots of people think they know what's up about Montana just because they drove through it ONCE and listened to a few hours of talk radio. do you know ANYTHING about Butte, or the state of Montana that you're so quick to condemn? Butte is a hard-rock mining town that got raped by the Anaconda Co. for its copper and left for dead - did you know that the city of Butte shed blood for our right to form unions and broke ground for worker's rights? this place is all blue-collar dems! we have a PFLAG, a gay-straight alliance in the high school, a vegan restaurant AND a community garden, for god's sake! we're downright civilized :) the state is a purple one, with a mix of red & blue depending on the county. i HATE hearing people talk about what a bunch of "closed-minded" shit-kickers Montanans are, etc. - that's the easy way out. we all know that NO ONE in Seattle is a closed-minded hate-talker, right? right?! wake up: hate is everywhere, even in (gasp!) Seattle. after seven years of living in Seattle (Ballard, specifically), i moved to Butte for employment, and i find it a delightful, thoughtful, super-liberal place to be. don't let a few hours of talk radio form your total opinion of a state - or, really, anything.
Posted by liza_machette on June 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM · Report this
Knat 10
@9: Does the water still taste awful, or has that been addressed? I haven't visited Butte in over 10 years, but that's most of what I remember about it.
Posted by Knat on June 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM · Report this
delirian 11
@9: Yeah, Butte was ground-zero for union rights early in the 20th century. The short version if I recall correctly is that there was an enormous mine disaster caused by the mine owners (the largest in US history). The workers at all of the mines went on strike. A international socialist leader, Frank Little, came to town and was lynched by the mine owners. The strike continued, so federal troops were sent to town and tried to keep the peace for years (and ensured the mines were operating in WW I). This worked for a short time, but the unions gained power over time and made the town completely unionized. Eventually mineral prices dropped, and the unions lost influence. The remnants of the mines means the town is now a toxic wasteland. Butte is still one of the most liberal cities in Montana.
Posted by delirian on June 1, 2012 at 1:24 PM · Report this
@10: water still tastes awful, has quality issues :( most folks buy bottled or used in-home filtration.

@11: you are correct re: union rights. i wouldn't call the town a toxic wasteland, per se, although we are home to the largest superfund site in the country - the berkeley pit. the majority of the town is habitable, although we're still fighting boarded-up storefronts and abandoned houses - the town was built to sustain 150,000 people and is now home to about 33,000. what's cool is that there is an affordable renaissance going on right now: young couples and businesses with modest amounts of $$ to invest, moving in, cleaning up, and settling down. lots of kick ass music and visual art, huge summer festival season - folk festival! dirt bikes in the streets! - and surrounded by some of the best outdoor recreation opportunities on earth.

yeah. i like my town.
Posted by liza_machette on June 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM · Report this
delirian 13
@12: Yeah wasteland is a little harsh. Let's just say that there are a lot of opportunities for people who work in environmental cleanup.
Posted by delirian on June 1, 2012 at 1:58 PM · Report this
blip 14
"I'm a motherfuckin' star / Look at the paint on the car"

LOOK AT IT. Be amazed! Paint... on a car!! Also, he's a star. It has so much more meaning when you know that.
Posted by blip on June 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
David Thompson 15
no Butte, no Western Federation of Miners, no WFM, no Industrial Workers of the World, no Wobblies, no Everett Massacre, no Centralia Massacre...
Posted by David Thompson on June 1, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Matt the Engineer 16
@9 I don't pretend to fully understand anywhere - the world is too complex for that. I just know the attitudes on several talk shows I heard there were more hateful than I've ever heard elsewhere.

Oh, and it wasn't Butte, it was the drive from Great Falls to Havre. Havre's actually really cool - you can tell it was beautiful back before cars. It's still easiest to get there by train from Seattle (for one trip, I did just that, and Glacier Nat. Park makes a great weekend hiking trip from Seattle without missing any work).
Posted by Matt the Engineer on June 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 17
I was born in Butte! I also lived there for the first 18 years of my life. It's a weird and (mostly) wonderful place!

@6: There are assholes in MT, but COME ON! There are far more vile states in the US with far more assholes per square foot. At least MT is beautiful and sparsely populated. Ring wing talk radio exists everywhere and is always dumb / terrifying.

@10/12: C'mon guys, I thought the water was good!

Posted by Emily Nokes on June 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
Timrrr 18
Wow, Charles... If this is "new to you" I think they may have to finally revoke your Black Card once and for all!

(Or maybe you might actually, you know, think about going out to the club and hanging out with some real live "urban" folks once you're back in town -- for purely anthropological reasons, of course.)
Posted by Timrrr on June 2, 2012 at 3:39 AM · Report this
Butte is amazing in an Alejandro Jodorowsky kind-of-way. I think somewhere there's a very non-ironic plaque about it being the "can-do" city (next to one of the beautiful decaying facades). Like Venice, I imagine it will be devoured by nature, save the toxic pond and the big light-up Jesus (of the rockies).
Oh - and I'm still waiting to know what a rack city chick is exactly.
Posted by yerbamatty on June 2, 2012 at 5:07 AM · Report this