Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, July 9, 2012

Frogs Drummer Dennis Flemion Missing, Presumed Dead

Posted by on Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:20 PM

A man who vanished while swimming in a lake in Wisconsin has been identified as 57-year-old Dennis Flemion. Flemion is the drummer of Milwaukee, Wisconsin's the Frogs, a band he started with his younger brother Jimmy in 1980.

Police searched Wind Lake in Racine County today for the third day in what is now being called a recovery effort. It's been reported that Flemion jumped off of a pontoon boat on Saturday afternoon and never returned to the surface of the water.

The Frogs are known for a number of things: Jimmy Flemion's six-foot bat wing costume, their association with Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and their catchy songs that dealt with race, religion, and homoerotic sexuality. Dennis Flemion was also a temporary member of the Smashing Pumpkins from 1996 to 1997.

My all time favorite Frogs LP is My Daughter the Broad from 1996, which featured Dennis Flemion's geriatric pervert persona, as well as a high pitch voiced murder Jack. Apparently the record title was inspired by Mudhoney's My Brother the Cow. The 1997 Starjob EP is a wonderful commentary on the music industry and the grunge movement.

Sorry for the sad news, this is a real bummer. Videos after the jump. Gerard Cosloy's thoughts on the issue can be found here.

Comments (6) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Travis Ritter 1
mega bummed.
Posted by Travis Ritter http://nuglifer.wordpress.com on July 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM · Report this
I'm destroyed. Grew up in Milwaukee listening to The Frogs...secretly because my mom would have killed me if she heard it. Jimmy used to put up fliers at Atomic Records for guitar lessons. This is a tragedy. Those guys were fearless and hilarious.
Posted by Laura Duffy on July 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM · Report this
What a terrible shame. So sorry to read this news. RIP.
Posted by kerri harrop http://generalbonkers.com on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 4
Dennis came into a record store where I worked in Chicago in the late 1990s. I didn't recognize him and he asked to use the bathroom. I told him that it was being painted, which was the standard answer for strangers. Another person shopping said out loud, "He's in the Frogs!"

I said that it would be a pleasure to let him use the bathroom.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on July 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM · Report this
I first discovered the Frogs through a Jackie Hell peformance at an early Pho Bang. I should go find some of those early 'Bang videos. Jackie did amazing things with Frog's songs
Posted by Kelly O on July 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 6
Beck sampled "That was a good drum break" for "Where It's At," which put some $$$ in his pocket.
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on July 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this