Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Some Days You Just Have to Listen to For Your Own Special Sweetheart Over and Over Again

Posted by on Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Today is one of those days:

It's been over 18 years since its release and For Your Own Special Sweetheart is still one of my favorite records of all time.

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Keekee 1
There's no accounting for taste!
Posted by Keekee on July 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 2
Does this have "The Motorist" on it? That's the only Jawbox song I remember.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on July 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 3
@2 Yes! Technically it's "Motorist."
Posted by Megan Seling on July 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM · Report this
I recently listened to this for the first time in forever and was struck by the awesomeness of kim colleta's bass playing. Super prominent and powerful. I can only hope my daughter's kindergarten teacher is as cool as kim c.
Posted by Huffy on July 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 5
I think "Novelty" is their best record. The top-notch production of "Sweetheart" is just a bit too good for my taste, but that's how I can be sometimes. (I think the LP version of "Savory" disappointed me after the awesome one on the split single with Edsel, too - I seem to be one of those guys who always prefers the first version I hear. Why is that? I want to be someone who can listen more objectively...)

Oh well. My roommates and I put them up for the night in 1991, and they were swell people. I still have the shirt from that tour.
Posted by Matt from Denver on July 13, 2012 at 7:39 AM · Report this