Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Which Stranger Music Writer Bought Their First Spiked Collar From a Local Pet Store Because Buying it at Hot Topic Meant They Were a Poser?

Posted by on Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Not a poser.
True story. Back in his/her teenage years, a Stranger music writer wanted a spiked collar because he/she was going to their first metal show and they wanted to look totally M-E-T-A-L. But he/she didn't want to be a poser and get the collar at Hot Topic. Gross! So he/she went to a local pet store (in Ballard, actually) and tried on their selection of dog collars.

WHO WAS IT?

Comments (29) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
derek_erdman 1
It's gotta be Nokes or Minard.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on July 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM · Report this
RatGirl 2
Kelly O, fo sho.
Posted by RatGirl on July 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Dougsf 3
This sounds like an alarmingly recent story, so my vote goes to whoever's youngest. Does the Cramp no longer exist?
Posted by Dougsf on July 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 4
How on Earth am I in second place?? I am from Butte, Montana y'all. A place that, to this day, has NEVER HAD A METAL SHOW (unless it was a literal metal show—Butte is really into mining, copper, and the mining of copper).
Posted by Emily Nokes on July 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 5
Come on, everyone knows Kelly O is from Detroit.

I didn't know Emily was from Montana so I voted for her. Sorry Emily!
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on July 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 6
My collar was from Hot Topic, but my tag was from Petco. (Adolescent me was the WORST.)
Posted by icouldliveinhope on July 26, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
TVDinner 7
There is no Hot Topic in Butte. Everyone knows that.
Posted by TVDinner http:// on July 26, 2012 at 2:20 PM · Report this
wisepunk 8
I have to go with the lovely KellyO. We know that there are only 2 places outside of Detroit that would sell collars, Hot Topic and the pet store. I know, I grew up in the tri-cities, which is much like rural michigan, except more desert-y.
Posted by wisepunk on July 26, 2012 at 2:22 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 9
Oh... we were supposed to vote on who DID this, not who we WANT to see in said collar? Sorry, Kelly....
Posted by Cracker Jack on July 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Shoooo.... people don't have "pet stores" in Detroit - the dogs run wild there. No collars, no rules!

Posted by Kelly O on July 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
Canadian Nurse 11
@8: Why would Kelly O drive from Detroit to Ballard for a dog collar? That's quite a trip for a high schooler.
Posted by Canadian Nurse on July 26, 2012 at 2:25 PM · Report this
kitschnsync 12
This screams Seling, and her denial in the voting box makes it doubly so.
Posted by kitschnsync on July 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM · Report this
yos-wa 13
man, all the front runners are women. can dudes want to wear dog collars as well?

Trent Moorman - a possibility
Megan Seling - not worried about being metal.
Dave Segal - I would assume not worried about being metal.
Emily Nokes - apparently from montana. not a suspect.
Anna Minard - doesn't know anything about music by her own admission. why would she worry about being metal?
Larry Mizell Jr. - definitely not worried about being metal.
Derek Erdman - from ohio or something. probably would have been more worried about being punk if anything.
Kelly O - apparently from detroit. not a suspect.

that means Trent or Dave. I'm going with Trent.

Posted by yos-wa on July 26, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 14
@13 Oh, man. You just coined my new motto/mantra/professional title.

"Megan Seling - not worried about being metal."
Posted by Megan Seling on July 26, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
yos-wa 15
plus: i think this is all the evidence you need.
Posted by yos-wa on July 26, 2012 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Fnarf 16
Oh, come on, you know it's Megan.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on July 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM · Report this
COMTE 17
Oh, you meant CURRENT "Stranger" music writer. I was wondering why Everett True wasn't on this list...
Posted by COMTE on July 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Simone 18
I can spot the criminal in a crime show almost immediately. However, when it comes to who done it polls, I can't fathom a guess as to who it was that purchased a spiked collar at a pet store.
Posted by Simone on July 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM · Report this
ItsAllOverNow 19
Seling based on age alone.
Posted by ItsAllOverNow http://nowaybro.blogspot.com/ on July 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM · Report this
I'm going to guess Moorman, followed by 86 pages of unnecessarily verbose poetry about the transaction.
Posted by Casual_Observer on July 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM · Report this
Trent Moorman 21
it's Segal. He doesn't fuck around when it comes to his collars. I don't have time for collars, I have 86 pages of unnecessarily verbose poetry to write.
Posted by Trent Moorman on July 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
I know the answer to this and YOU ARE ALL WRONG. Except one of you.
Posted by Mike Ramos on July 27, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
ItsAllOverNow 23
So this is another one of those posts where we speculate but never find out the answer?!?! My anxiety and obsessive psychological issues can't deal with this kind of lack of resolution!
Posted by ItsAllOverNow http://nowaybro.blogspot.com/ on July 27, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 24
@23 No! I'll tell you. The answer is.... drm rll: ANNA MINARD!

Anna didn't want to be a poser, so when she was a teenager she bought a spiked collar at a pet store in Ballard. Oh, Anna. We love you.
Posted by Megan Seling on July 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM · Report this
yos-wa 25
you're a poser for trying so hared not to be a poser. that's how it works, right?
Posted by yos-wa on July 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
yos-wa 26
hared. ha.
Posted by yos-wa on July 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 27
where my dogs @
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on July 27, 2012 at 7:40 PM · Report this
i still don't quite understand what's so funny! it makes/made so much sense! WHERE ELSE DO YOU BUY THEM, YOU GUYS?!?
Posted by Anna Minard on July 27, 2012 at 8:22 PM · Report this
This is very fine blog. I got meaningful information from this. Keep it up.
Posted by Dog collars on August 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM · Report this