Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, August 3, 2012

Adventures From the Front Desk #1

Posted by on Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM

After a short job hunt, I recently managed to fulfill a lifelong dream of working as a fill-in receptionist. Drawing ducks and making telephone raps all day at home can begin to drive a person mad, so I'd always imagined that part time phone greetings would be a nice break from the isolation. I somehow wrangled a receptionist job at Sub Pop! All of the people who work there are wonderfully nice. Interesting people come in all of the time. Last week I was filmed for an Australian TV show highlighting Seattle. When the interviewer asked me if they ever made me clean the toilet, I replied, "Yes, I'm cleaning the toilet right now!" Then I frowned. Then we both laughed! Also, 4/10ths of my hourly wage goes to a parking meter because I'm too lazy to ride my bike.

Hello, how I may can help you?
  • "Hello, how I may can help you?"

Most of my day today was spent numbering the last 975 Macklemore 7"s covers for the picture disc single "Same Love." I'd numbered the first 1,025 at the beginning of the week. Ruben from Hardly Art walked by and asked me if I was autographing them as Macklemore, which was such a good idea that I promptly made 15 copies that said #1/2000. I didn't really do that! I did have a hibiscus Refresher from Starbucks and listened to Killing Joke on YouTube the whole time. YouTube is the best record store in Seattle!

SUB PUPS
  • SUB PUPS

The highlight of my day is phone calls, for sure. I spent a half hour on the phone today with a woman who claimed to currently be involved with Robert Plant in a "federal lawsuit." She claimed that he had been using radar and music to stalk her for years. She also claimed that Kurt Cobain wrote an article about her in 1988 when she opened a Patagonia store in downtown Seattle and that he later wrote the song "Lithium" about a mirror that she had in her house. She also noted that she was working with Fort Lewis to get a metal roof installed on her "barn-style Craftsman" to deflect satellite beams. She seemed like a particularly nice person and I hope to interview her about things from the future, in the future.

Adventures From the Front Desk will probably be a regular dispatch. Let me know if you have suggestions. When I find a box of "Love Buzz" singles, we'll have a party at Than Bros and I'll pass them out to everybody.

Comments (12) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
buzz me in.
Posted by Real Fake on August 3, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Nugget 2
DEREK!
i love this.
i love you.
this is the perfect thing.
Posted by Nugget http://hillebrity.com on August 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
I hope really do hope you interview her in the future about things from the future
Posted by Kelly O on August 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on August 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 5
More SUB PUPS!!!
Posted by Emily Nokes on August 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM · Report this
LIKE!
Posted by laceyswain on August 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM · Report this
Silly, it's not 4/10s of your income that goes to parking meters, it's 2/5.
Posted by LMcGuff http://holyoutlaw.livejournal.com/ on August 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 8
SIMPLIFYING FRACTIONS NO WAY
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on August 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM · Report this
Estey 9
This is GREAT! Thank you and please keep doing it! Also, I had a graveyard front desk man job at the Frye Apartments and spent about seven dollars every night on a cab to get there because I was too lazy to get up early enough to go in on time -- so don't feel too badly about the parking.
Posted by Estey on August 4, 2012 at 9:00 AM · Report this
julie russell 10
Doggies!!! AND crazy people...jealous!
Posted by julie russell http:// on August 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM · Report this
Who cares about the words? MORE DOGS!
Posted by Maxine on August 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM · Report this
care bear 12
Can we have a party at Than Bros anyway?
Posted by care bear on August 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this