Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, August 6, 2012

What is a Boof Boof???

Posted by on Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I decided to take a Zumba class the other day, with no prior knowledge of what it was exactly. I discovered that it was mom friendly aerobic-dance fusion, and in the hour-long class of pumped-up music played, I only recognized one song: Beyonce's "Countdown" because one of my roommates has been playing it incessantly. The only line I ever catch in the lyrics is "Me and my boof, and my boof boot riding." Boof Boof? I asked my Beyonce-loving roomate what that meant, and she texted me "a Boof Boof is your Boof." Feeling dissatisfied with that answer and instead of actually listening to the song more, I conducted an informal text poll to determine what some of my friends and acquaintances thought it was:

"It's her pet chihuahua."
"Boof Boof is a modernized Foot Foot from the Shaggs!"
"I think it's a small gay lapdog."
"I have no clue."
"I think it's a boyfriend."
"A shelf butt. A Bouffant?"
"A dance involving the butt."
"A 100% natural loofah from PCC."

What the fuck is a Boof Boof? Someone please tell me.

Comments (21) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
yos-wa 1
i've never heard this song, but i just looked up the lyrics and it appears that she actually says "me and my boo, in my boo coupe riding."

so, me and my boyfriend riding in his car.
Posted by yos-wa on August 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM · Report this
It's this, naturally:
Posted by Kelly O on August 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 3

Boof boof = Jay Z? I dig boo coupe too. Wonderful words, all of them.

Posted by Emily Nokes on August 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 4
KELLY! Hahahahaha
Posted by Emily Nokes on August 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM · Report this
I sometimes call these my boof boofs
Posted by Kelly O on August 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM · Report this
Posted by Fever Rash http://www.constantlovers.com on August 6, 2012 at 6:41 PM · Report this
deadrose 7
I'd love to think it was connected to this: http://crevette.livejournal.com/113659.h…

I only regret that I never purchased a copy of such an amazing book.
Posted by deadrose on August 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM · Report this
rejemy 8
I ran this question past my toddler and he says "it's a doggie!"
Posted by rejemy on August 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM · Report this
Posted by ryanayr on August 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM · Report this
deadrose 10
@rejemy Yep, see my link above. Of course the particular dog in question has color-shifting eyes and is a reincarnated medicine man, but you get my point.
Posted by deadrose on August 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
blip 11
I just watched this video. It's pretty clear she's saying "Me and my boo boo riding." The line "with his chick right beside him" pretty much seals the deal there. Not her boof (that's not a thing); her boo (that is a thing).

Also, Beyonce is the most boring pop star of all time.
Posted by blip on August 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM · Report this
Dougsf 12
According to the internet lyrics sites, it's "boo." Her "boo boo" is probably her child.
Posted by Dougsf on August 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 13
y'all.. serious ? ' me and my boo and my boo boo ridin' ? me and my man and my big old ass taking a spin in my car.. y'all really ? i don't think you ready for this jelly...
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on August 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM · Report this
I would only point out, it's a Beyonce song. Who gives a damn what a "boof boof" is?

Okay, okay, that's just curmudgeonly, but in truth I stopped paying attention to pop culture words back when everyone was still saying, "miggida mac".

I didn't care what bitch whoever wanted to smack up actually was.

I still have no idea what "subrabae" is. Neither do I care.

In the end, Beyonce doesn't move me any more than Kriss Kross or Prodigy.

Phat Sidy, however? Hell, them's some smokin' tunes. Doesn't really matter what the technical definition of subrabae is. If I ever learn, I'm sure it will change my relationship to the song and album, but I'm not going to hang the funk out to dry just because I don't understand what subrabae is.

Okay, I would also point out that it's zumba. But that's beside the point.
Posted by BD on August 7, 2012 at 12:54 PM · Report this
treacle 15
13, "this jelly" ?
Posted by treacle on August 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on August 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM · Report this
laurenoh 17
I wish we were talking about Zumba forever.
Posted by laurenoh on August 7, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
@1 nailed it. Not that complicated.

Also, @11 and @14, hate if you want, but Beyonce is one of the most (if not the most) talented pop stars working today. Have you seen this? Goosebumps. http://lifeandtimes.com/pregame
Posted by daftgiraffe on August 8, 2012 at 7:31 AM · Report this
taffy dale 19
YOU ARE ALL VERY WHITE, I'M BLINDED BY YOUR WHITENESS RITE NOW. WOW. PACIFIC GREAT WHITE.
Posted by taffy dale http://taffydale.com on August 8, 2012 at 11:07 AM · Report this
blip 20
@18 I'm not denying she's a talented singer and performer, but her music is completely flat and lifeless and her persona is so conventional it's almost non-existent. She's just too safe for my taste.
Posted by blip on August 8, 2012 at 2:12 PM · Report this
Speaking of crackers, I called the gym one time to ask if zumba was for everyone and they said yes. Such liars! I walked out after appx 4 minutes
Posted by ameliamaris on August 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM · Report this