Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, August 10, 2012

"100 Reasons the DJ Hates You"

Posted by on Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Only 100? The eminence behind The DJ Gospel must've been in a charitable mood. Anyway, he/she has compiled 100 reasons why you make his/her time behind the decks miserable. Peruse and act accordingly.

Here are the ones with which I sympathize or despise most:

15. Your requests aren't any where near the format the DJ plays.
22. You make silly poses at the DJ like you are DJing.
27. You keep trying to tell the DJ your life story while we are mixing.
34. You spill a drink on the DJ equipment.
51. You don't know the song just the number on the CD.
54. Your idea of good music isn't.
70. Your requests are more like demands.
98. You ask the DJ to play something you can dance to.

Maybe the DJs out there in Line Out land can add some pet peeves that didn't make it into the horrible hundred.

Comments (11) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
mackro 1
That list is pretty complete! I have one majorly awesome experience to share. There was once a guy who was caught Shazam-ing my entire set in the bathroom.
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on August 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Shit, they missed some easy and important ones.

You ask the DJ if you can go through his/her records.

You say you also collect "vinyls."

When the DJ says s/he didn't bring a particular record, you take that as a challenge to think up more songs until you can name one that s/he actually has.

But I do like #63 and it is true.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on August 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM · Report this
Estey 3
Asking me to make you a "mix tape" and we just met. It's flattering, but you know you're not going to offer anything in return and besides your boyfriend is looking at me like he's going to kick my ass.
Posted by Estey on August 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM · Report this
@1 I love it when people Shazam during my set—although I'm more than happy to tell 'em what I'm playing.
Posted by Dave Segal on August 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM · Report this
mackro 5
@4 Me too! I was so happy (and ROFLing) when I found out. It wasn't the Shazam-ing that was funny, it was the hiding in the bathroom part.

(For the record, I have Shazam'ed PROG, but only in your clear line of vision.)
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on August 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM · Report this
If djing wasn't totally annoying none of us would ever get paid.
Posted by SAM FANTASY II on August 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Dean Fawkes 7
101. You both have a hundred reasons why you dislike DJing, but only one of you never considered not being a DJ.
Posted by Dean Fawkes http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author?oid=479789&section=Blogs on August 10, 2012 at 6:32 PM · Report this
my fave is one of the comments: "I don't have that song" "Well what do you have?" I get that one constantly.
Posted by Bill Weita on August 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM · Report this
While playing hip hop at a frat party in Boulder, CO back in the 90s, got a request for Digable Planets. I point to the record playing on the table: Blowout Comb. "No, I want to hear Digable Planets.". The night ended when someone air scratched after too many Natural Ices and ran the needle across the record that was playing.
Posted by Place on August 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 10
' really ?.. you don't have ANY skrillex ? do you even know who he is ? '
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on August 12, 2012 at 9:10 AM · Report this