Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stand Back

Posted by on Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I've been thinking a lot about technology today, which obviously lead me to Peter Gabriel, and once you think about Peter Gabriel, it's all over. I've watched such elaborate music videos as "Sledgehammer" and "Shock the Monkey" but there is just something about "Steam" that takes the GD WTF cake. Does anyone make music videos like this anymore? IF NOT, WHY NOT?

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
This artist, in a doc that recently screened in Seattle made videos for Peter Gabriel... It's a GREAT film, and makes me wish artists and MTV videos still existed...
Posted by Kelly O on September 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM · Report this
wish MTV videos still existed. Sheesh 25 typos in just one comment
Posted by Kelly O on September 18, 2012 at 4:11 PM · Report this
ryjan 3
@2, I thought you were being super snarky towards the first commenter about all the typos, then I realized you were just talking to yourself . Most excellent.
Posted by ryjan on September 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 4
@1 - OH MAN, yes yes yes! I love that guy! I just found out about him last Friday. @3 - Hahahaha
Posted by Emily Nokes on September 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM · Report this
ChadK 5
@ 4 - Just found out about Gabriel, eh? Well I guess it is never too late.
I just so happened to be in elementary school when all of his groundbreaking videos were getting played in quite regular rotation on MTV, middle school when the video for the Steam single posted above was out.
I remember, in spite of whatever genre dominated my palette at the time—butt rock in elementary school, metal in middle school, and punk in high school—I always looked forward to Gabriel's music or whatever visual treat he had prepared to challenge the limits of my imagination. My, how far we've fallen.
Posted by ChadK on September 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM · Report this