Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, October 8, 2012

How to Destroy Angels - "Keep It Together"

Posted by on Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Now this is not what I expected from Trent Reznor's How to Destroy Angels group, whose An Omen EP comes out Nov. 13 on Columbia Records. "Keep It Together" is far from typical ca. 2012 major-label fodder. Rather, it's an eerie, bass-heavy, slow-motion mudslide of a tune subtly augmented by whispered male/female vox (Trent and Mariqueen Maandig) and a shiver-inducing drone that could've emanated from Goblin's Suspiria soundtrack. Can radio even handle this sort of low-end evil? Sounds like Mr. Reznor might be listening to Demdike Stare and their ilk on his million-dollar stereo system. I hope this track is an omen for the rest of the EP [*rimshot*].

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
How To Destroy Angels is an Album by the amazing and queer industrial / noise pioneers, Coil, check it out, As I'm certain Trent has much.
Posted by Forgotton2011 on October 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM · Report this
Wicked Virgin 2
Yes, the name is an obvious reference to Coil:

Posted by Wicked Virgin http://goo.gl/nBxVY on October 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM · Report this
never could get right with trent calling his side project that, even if ol' sleazy approved. it just seemed... lazy.
Posted by deepconcentration on October 9, 2012 at 4:37 PM · Report this
If a high-profile musician naming his project How to Destroy Angels helps people to get deeper into Coil, then who are we to complain?
Posted by Dave Segal on October 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Well Trent *did* give props to his influences on 'Fixed' which included remixes by Coil, Foetus and others. But yeah, I agree- the first time I heard the name of this project I thought "whadafuq?. It just seems lazy to me. I am happy with the direction Trent's been moving towards lately-it gives me some respect for the guy.
Posted by RobotXXIX on October 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM · Report this