Line Out Music & the City at Night

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The 10 Best Songs in Light in the Attic's Decade-Long History*

Posted by on Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Light in the Attic Records turns 10 years old in 2012, and there’s much cause for celebration. Today I’m going to list my 10 favorite songs in LITA’s expansive catalog; tomorrow I’ll tally my top 10 Light in the Attic albums (suspense!).

A quick perusal and listening to this top-10 list will reveal LITA’s diversity and aesthetic acumen. As someone who’s heard nearly everything the company’s released since 2002, I can say with confidence that Matt Sullivan and Josh Wright’s Seattle/LA label rarely issues a dud. Certainly, you may have your own fave 10 LITA tunes, and I’m eager to see what they are. Drop ’em in comments for posterity’s sake, please.

(*As of right now; this can change every day, forever.)

01 Annette Peacock- “I’m the One”

02 The Overton Berry Ensemble- “Hey Jude”

03 Jim Ford- “I’m Gonna Make Her Love Me”

04 Wendy Rene- “Bar-B-Q”

05 Pastor T.L. Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir- “Like a Ship (Without a Sail)”

06 Lee Hazlewood- “Califia (Stone Rider)”

07 Lou Bond- “Come on Snob”

08 Donnie & Joe Emerson- “Good Time”

09 The Vagrants- “A Sunny Summer Rain”

10 Kain- “I Ain’t Black” [from the Listen, Whitey! soundtrack]

Also, Light in the Attic commemorates its 10th anniversary Fri. Oct. 12 at Showbox at the Market with performances by Rodriguez, Donnie & Joe Emerson, and Michael Chapman, with Suspence DJing before and between sets. Oh, dag, I just noticed it’s sold out. Hope you got a ticket!

Comments (6) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
'The Bed' is my fav Lee Hazlewood cut. It would probably top my LITA list.

There are too many jazz renditions of Beatles songs. But Overton Berry's cover of 'Hey Jude' is the cream of the crop. Good call on the #2 spot.
Posted by Ben Stillman on October 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
'The Bed' is my fav Lee Hazlewood cut. It would probably top my LITA list.

Posted by Ben Stillman on October 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
Thankfully I got a ticket to Friday's show a month ago.
LOVE Light in the Attic. I don't think I've bought a LITA release and been let down by it. Granted, there's still a lot of their catalog I still don't have, so I'll keep my list a little shorter:
1. Rodriguez- "Sugar Man"
2. Pastor T.L Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir - "Just Like a Ship"
3. Black on White Affair - "Bold Soul Sister, Bold Soul Brother"
4. Serge Gainsbourg - "Ballad De Melody Nelson"
5. Donnie & Joe Emerson - "Baby"
6. Rodriguez - "I'll Slip Away"
7. Patrinell Staten - "Little Love Affair"
8. Lee Hazelwood - "Califa (Stone Rider)"
Posted by John In Ballard on October 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM · Report this
Awesome list, but I would have to bump something on it to include "Sugar Man."
Posted by TippiTime http://www.facebook.com/TippiTime on October 11, 2012 at 12:26 PM · Report this
Estey 5
Just keeping it one track per artist, which is near impossible (half of TSK's "Mingle" could be on here, for example):

1.) Betty Davis, "He Was A Big Freak"
2.) The Black Angels, "Young Men Dead"
3.) The Saturday Knights, "45"
4.) Karen Dalton, "Katie Cruel"
5.) Rodriguez, "Sugar Man" (really hard not to pick "Only Good For Conversation" or "Crucify Your Mind" or a couple of other tracks from 'Cold Fact' too)
6.) The Cougars, "I Wish It Would Rain"
7.) Noel Ellis, "Memories"
8.) Ron Buford, "Deep Soul Pt. 1"
9.) Karen O/Kool Keith (Deep Throat Vs. Lialeh) "Teaser"
10.) Jackie Mittoo, "Love Of Life"

Nothing too surprising -- and one guilty pleasure.
Posted by Estey on October 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Rodriguez-"Jane s. Piddy"

The Free Design-"Bubbles"

The Black Angels-"Doves"

Jim Sullivan -"U.F.O."

Lee Jung Hwa- "I Don't Like"

Monks-"Shut Up"