Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, October 19, 2012

What Do You Listen To When You Can't Decide What To Listen To?!

Posted by on Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Here I am, working at my desk, as I do EVERYDAY, and of course, as I HATE silence, I have SOMETHING spinning on the hi-fi*, always, or uh, (ahem) iTunes™. However, currently I'm kinda spun out and I can't decide exactly what I wanna hear!? FUCKING FUCK. Does this ever happen to anyone else? It's annoying 'cause I have music playing constantly. Sometimes this even happens when I'm home where ALL my records live. OOF!

I think part of MY problem is as I'm a record nerd I'm constantly consuming whatever happens to be NEXT. Um, "next" being not NEW/contemporary music, but new to me/NEXT in line to get on my turntable jams or ANY record I'm chasing after. It seems my volume of consumption is a habit which can make "looking back" seem a leetle boring. Not that I don't like EVERY record I own, I do, but I do find it hard to ONLY listen and RE-listen to a lot of things. Also, I'm afraid of becoming TOO familiar with a favorite record since I want GREAT records to impact me GREATLY. I dunno if that is a thing with anyone but me, but then my record nerd approach is a bit different than the average punter. ANYWAYS...so...my question, what do you listen to when you can't decide what to listen to?! The RADIO, or a slightly directeded streaming service? Like, you just let someone else decide?! Or, perhaps, NOTHING?! Any tricks, suggestions? I'M DYING!!

Honestly, if all else fails I rely on my high school tastes, so like, Die Kreuzen or Rudimentary Peni...'80s hardcore is always a solid go to, OR the first Come LP.

*I do have a portable turntable at my desk.

Comments (31) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
kitschnsync 1
I'd like to answer your whatever, but the SHITTY ALLCAPS and random...punctuation,...use of italics, and bolding makes your post illegible.
Posted by kitschnsync on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
I stream jazz from wbgo.org. As an older punk fan, I listen to punk on occasion when I'm in a mood for it or go see a show.
Posted by neo-realist on October 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
"Soul" music, R&B, etc is what I turn to in these situations. There's so much of it and it really sounds good when I get tired of rock or punk or whatever. Curtis Mayfield. Bill Withers, Lil' Stevie Wonder. James Brown songs other than "Sex Machine".

No one played this stuff around me much as a kid and as a younger record nerd this stuff was never "cool" enough for me to collect. But now it sounds so, so perfect to me.

Posted by Daily in LA on October 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
I turn off music and switch to Slate podcasts.
Posted by Wedgwood99 on October 19, 2012 at 1:45 PM · Report this
Dougsf 5
if all else fails I rely on my high school tastes

Same system here. I only WISH I had the first Die Kreuzen while I was in high school.

Go cruz some other record nerd's blogs, see if they got anything posted that'll inspire you.
Posted by Dougsf on October 19, 2012 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
I just dig towards the back of the embarrassingly large "new acquisitions" pile, some of which came in the door as far back as the summer of 2011. Usually it will be something weird on the border between jazz and easy listening.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM · Report this
spamky 7
Bad Religion
Posted by spamky on October 19, 2012 at 2:00 PM · Report this
Posted by sea of key on October 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 9
I start with Nickelback, follow that with Rush, and then set the playlist to either Danish Top 100 or Scottish Top 100.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 19, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
This should be Line Out's mission statement.

Hint- It's the best time in the history of music right now and it's all on the Internet. You just have to get beyond 80's dudes with guitars and Beastie Boys.
Posted by line out troll on October 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM · Report this
Fnarf 11
@1, Nipper has a lifetime typographical pass, because he is the only music writer The Stranger has ever published.

DON'T EVER CHANGE.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on October 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM · Report this
holy crap this is the most hyper post i've ever seen. calm down dude.
Posted by hereiswheremynamegoes on October 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM · Report this
Westlake, son! 13
SiriusXM. Let a DJ figure it out with no commercials to boot.
Posted by Westlake, son! on October 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 14
Browse the "what's new" section in Spotify or the related tabs in its Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, Hype Machine, etc. etc. apps. Or use it to snoop through my friends' playlists.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on October 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
WFMU's 'DoOrDIY' feed.
Old episodes of KPFA's 'Puzzling Evidence' or 'Over the Edge' (Negativland).
Posted by Gerald Fnord on October 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Alphabetically. Look at "Songs". Whatever is at the top, play the album. Delete it when you're done.
Posted by No Witty Name on October 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM · Report this
biffp 17
Tune-in app is brilliant. Stations from around the world. You can browse by location or style. And it's all free.
Posted by biffp on October 19, 2012 at 3:37 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 18
@14 when you do that in Spotify, choose the option to select other countries. That will keep it fresh.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
Another choice is to just set the stream to @RainyDawg .... if you're bored with @KEXP that is.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on October 19, 2012 at 3:42 PM · Report this
Silence
Posted by heckler13 on October 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM · Report this
EricD 21
Hype Machine's latest feed. It is geared a bit more towards electronic stuff, but I've found some amazing stuff on there like:
- New types of metal I didn't know existed
- 1960's UK albums about how to train your dog
- Thai disco
- Interviews with various folks
- Nature sounds
Posted by EricD http://www.bfhoodrich.com on October 19, 2012 at 3:47 PM · Report this
LEE. 22
yes!!! Rudimentary Peni, and other bands from high school, are totally my default too. when I'm not in the mood to be screamed at however, I usually default to 2000's-era post-punk revival bands that run the gamut from great to embarrassing. rather than naming names, I'll leave what's what to your imagination.

if that fails, Spanish-speaking radio.
Posted by LEE. on October 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM · Report this
julie russell 23
I think College Me would have wanted to bang High School You.

When in doubt, I pick a number 1-10 pull from that stack repeat, repeat and play whatever it is. My sister and I have been doing it since we were kids...only then, we had to dance/ lipsync to whatever got pulled
Posted by julie russell http:// on October 19, 2012 at 5:56 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 24
I consume music and nearly the rate Nipper does, I hate listening to people talk (so no pocasts), and I would NEVER EVER EVER let ANYONE else pick what I'm listening to (fuck Spotify, Pandora, and everything else) buuuuut I pretty much just listen to My Bloody Valentine in this instance.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on October 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM · Report this
I have somewhere upwards of 800 CDs, many of which I forget I own. I will often do what I call a "blind pull" (Dan Savage ought to come up with a sex act to accompany that) and close my eyes and reach behind me and listen to what ever 1 or 2 discs I grab.
Posted by Dod on October 19, 2012 at 8:05 PM · Report this
That "Portable Turntable" link now re-directs to a pop-up ad for Yellow-something or other.
Posted by BallardBoy on October 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM · Report this
now it's gone... I mean, the "link" is gone. Is it me?
Posted by BallardBoy on October 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM · Report this
julie russell 28
@26 Crosley makes a decent portable. Cheesy but decent
Posted by julie russell http:// on October 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM · Report this
Suicidal Tendencies or the Descendents
Posted by Steven Severin on October 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Try Songza. Pick a mood and/or genre and let go. It is a great tool for finding music to listen to while your working.
Posted by sisyphusgal on October 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM · Report this