Line Out Music & the City at Night

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Is It Wrong To Be a Woman Who Likes Pimp Rap?

Posted by on Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I gotta admit something. I still listen to Too $hort sometimes. There. I said it. Does that make me a bad female? Sometimes I just wanna hear some raunchy shit. Total shitty sex shit. Is this bad? Am I bad person?

Also, check out this new kid, after $hort's crown named 100s:

Who was the first pimp that really struck you and made you say, “Damn, that dude is fly?”
The first pimp I ever heard of was Iceberg Slim. It was way back in the day, I must have been ten. Somebody knew I was fascinated by pimps and said, “Read his book.” But I never read it. Around that time, my uncle was staying in East Oakland with his girl, and he had American Pimp laying around. It must have been a VHS. He said, “Don't watch it, that's one of the movies you're not supposed to see.” They wanted me to watch cartoons or something. But I watched American Pimp anyway. There was a pimp in it named Kenny Red. Damn, he had crazy charisma.

Read the whole interview on VICE.

ice.jpg

Video after the jump!

Also...

Dear World: Is it wrong for me to kiss Too $horts cheek in this picture?
  • Brady Hall
  • Dear World: Is it wrong for me to kiss Too $hort's cheek in this picture?

Comments (6) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
derek_erdman 1
I really like a lot of G.G. Allin's songs, but I don't really want to do the things that he's talking about in them.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on October 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
Thank you. Now back to listening to GG, 100s, and maybe some old Eminem
Posted by Kelly O on October 24, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Love that My Activator track.
Lately I've been listening to the really early Too Short (pre '$') on 75 Girls, there are 8 minute long songs about how cocaine sucks. Pretty great stuff. Don't Stop Rappin and Players are the albums I've heard.
And pimps are garbage people who give sex work a bad name.
Posted by Birdsy on October 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 4
Lifelong Feminist, lifelong hiphop fan. That's for other people to sort out.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on October 24, 2012 at 8:19 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 5
hear hear. do you.

i guess there's still shit i used to like that makes me uncomfortable tho. today me & Ramos (the first person I heard talking about that 100's kid, incidentally) were emailing about the just-released video of Lil Reese stomping out his baby's mother; later I randomly youtubed Too Short & Ice Cube's "Ain't Nothing But A Word To Me"—an extremely rude song I used to love to death—and kinda shut it off when Short said "scared to hit that bitch with a left hook? you'se a bitch in my book."
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on October 25, 2012 at 12:53 PM · Report this
@5 - I'd be interested to hear yours and Ramos' take on 100s! What say you?
Posted by Kelly O on October 26, 2012 at 11:51 AM · Report this