Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Is The Lava Lounge Closing?!?

Posted by on Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I just read a rumor on Facebook, that it's closing at the end of the month. Someone say it ain't so! I love the Lava! Especially Sylvia the bartender....
aw, and where will I play Miss Pac Man?!?

HH_MichaelKelly-570.jpg
  • Michael Kelly

Comments (25) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
geoff teardrop 1
mizz pac man @ everyone's favorite cafe racer
Posted by geoff teardrop http://twitter.com/wipess on November 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM · Report this
McGee 2
Heard rumor that Sylvia actually bought the place and there maybe some changes but not closing. Can't confirm 100% though.
Posted by McGee on November 15, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
It's closing. There is a potential buyer but it's not Sylvia, and it will likely change completely. Doors close Dec 1st.
Posted by ameliamaris on November 15, 2012 at 5:25 PM · Report this
All right. Friday the 30th. Let's do this!
Posted by paulus on November 15, 2012 at 6:17 PM · Report this
DavidG 5
Cafe Racer, Twilight Exit, and Neighbor Lady all have Ms Pacman. Yes, even in those arcade tables you can set your drink on!
Posted by DavidG http://portableshrines.com on November 15, 2012 at 6:22 PM · Report this
Noooooooooo!
Posted by Dod on November 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 7
Well now I have zero reason to go to Belltown ever again.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on November 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM · Report this
C'mon, @7. SHORTY'S...the best reason to go to Belltown!
Posted by Dod on November 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM · Report this
LEE. 9
I was really starting to enjoy DJing there...bummer.
Posted by LEE. on November 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM · Report this
levide 10
Oof. She may not be aware of this, but Sylvia's been my girlfriend for twenty years or so now. THIS WILL NOT STAND!
Posted by levide on November 16, 2012 at 9:18 AM · Report this
The owner's daughter confirmed last night that it's closing. The new buyers are rumored to be the same people behind Bathtub Gin.
Posted by TippiTime http://www.facebook.com/TippiTime on November 16, 2012 at 11:37 AM · Report this
You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me 12
:-(
Posted by You_Gotta_Be_Kidding_Me on November 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM · Report this
On only my second day, ever, in Seattle, Jim Rose of The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow pulled me off the street, and asked me if I'd help him take some photographs with some Mexican wrestling masks. In exchange for posing for a photo, I insisted that he buy me a drink.

We sat in the Lava Lounge, with Bebe, and talked about the Circus, chain saw football, and transvestites.

This was one of the first experiences that helped me decide to leave Detroit, and move to Seattle.
Posted by Kelly O on November 16, 2012 at 11:41 AM · Report this
Rotten666 14
I met my wife at the Lava Lounge.
Posted by Rotten666 on November 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM · Report this
jseattle 15
Only bar I've ever passed out in
Posted by jseattle http://capitolhillseattle.com on November 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM · Report this
The "yuppification" of Seattle is a depressing trend. If it hits Georgetown, I'm moving. Everything that made Seattle once great and fun is all but gone, replaced with condos and boring, overpriced, mediocre restaurants. No thank you!
Posted by Eastsiders suck on November 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM · Report this
WHAT??! But the Lava Lounge is where I do all my public making out! Bummer.
Posted by Totalpukoid on November 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM · Report this
That's so weird. I rarely make it to Belltown but whenever I've been there it's always been packed. Did something change? One of the best parts about Belltown.
Posted by Steven Severin on November 16, 2012 at 2:10 PM · Report this
I agree it is a cool place. But I certainly don't have any illusions about a place filled with bearded hipsters any different to me than filled with so called yuppies.
Posted by rp on November 16, 2012 at 3:25 PM · Report this
This place was basically a second home for me too. I worked there, I did art there, I made friends and family there. I wish I could go back before it closes... Whoever buys this place should preserve it AS IS!!! Please do not gut it and make it "something new"... It is phenomenal as it stands... I'll miss this place and never go in if it changes. It would break my heart... Someone, anyone buy this place and keep the history going...
Posted by rickklu on November 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Man, you know you're old when someone's "old Belltown" is your "new Belltown".
Posted by mint chocolate chip on November 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM · Report this
Hey Seattle. The Lava Lounge is not closing. We have a buyer and they will be keeping everything the same. Plaease come by this month and have a beer.
Posted by borregomyke on November 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM · Report this
The Lava Lounge is my woobie. It's one of the places that I go when I need a comfort or a lift. It's familiar, nostalgic and part of what made me fall in love with this city when I first visited nearly 20 years ago.
Posted by Dod on November 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM · Report this
i'm pro-science and i vote 24
I hope it's just a rumor. I consider Lava Lounge to be the keystone of its block!
Posted by i'm pro-science and i vote http://www.prettyopenended.com on November 17, 2012 at 10:25 AM · Report this
Ok everyone. I'm buying lava lounge. And it's staying lava. This place is a true staple of the community. Only changes being made are cleaning up the bathrooms and were adding flamed pirate ship cocktails to the menu. Party on! Spread the word.
Posted by MarcusBathtubGin on November 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM · Report this