Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, December 10, 2012

Everyone Hates the Starship, but THIS Was, Indeed, the Airplane...It's JUST as Bad

Posted by on Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Over the years Jefferson Fartshit Starship has been rightfully crucified by us hateful fucks here at the Stranger™ and, today, I just can't help but adding ANOTHER "Starship WTF!? You SUCK!!!" hateful fuck post. Except...THIS is actually Jefferson Airplane's REUNION from 1989; I forgive you if you think this is Jefferson Fartshit Starship, I can't tell the difference either. Ugh...I try not to get too hung up crappy reunion tracks, but "Planes" left me wondering how do you go from genius of the Jefferson Airplane to creating Jefferson Fartshit Starship jams as the Jefferson Airplane without THINKING, "This is terrible, have we no shame, what about the fans, the revolution?!? DOES OUR DIGNITY NOT COUNT FOR ANYTHING?!" I know, a bullshit reunion is STILL a bullshit reunion, I can only guess they were promised cash and hopeful for a comeback, but this CRAP easily makes "We Built This City" sound GREAT.

I've honestly listened to this a ton, trying to hear ANYTHING redeemable...erm, REASONABLE, about this track. Really, anything that'd make me feel they could be tied to their former greatness, but there ain't. The song does seem to be autobiographical; a Paul Kantner song about his childhood obsession with (ahem) planes. This is yet another reason why I'm sooooo thankful I quit listening to the radio in 1982!!!

Comments (10) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Travis Ritter 1
WHAT THE FUCK.
Posted by Travis Ritter http://nuglifer.wordpress.com on December 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM · Report this
hateful fuck post
Posted by paulus on December 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
Sean Jewell 3
This is so crappy I don't even remember it, and I was pretty into crap-rock in 1989. Thanks Nipper!
Posted by Sean Jewell http://https://twitter.com/cursedjewell on December 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM · Report this
LEE. 4
let's take this from a glass-is-half-full approach and say at least they didn't try to make an amazing video to cover up a shitty song. instead it sucks possibly worse than the music. so that's a plus, right?
Posted by LEE. on December 10, 2012 at 4:41 PM · Report this
to me, this falls into the category of "such a goddamned catastrophe that it's amazing." you know, kinda like Showgirls.
Posted by cb on December 10, 2012 at 8:14 PM · Report this
To be fair, the album is no worse than Kantner's other two 80s post-Starship LPs, 'The Planet Earth Rock And Roll Orchestra' and the KBC band (aka Kantner plus Jefferson Airplane bandmates Marty Balin & Jack Cassady, plus the same session hacks who played on the Airplane reunion album). Both textbook examples of 60s-rockers-trying-to-be-relevant-in-the-80s at their worst. I bet the late Spencer Dryden counted it among his blessings that he was not invited to appear on the Airplane reunion album ...
Posted by some old hippie on December 11, 2012 at 2:38 PM · Report this
Howard Hughes used to visit me in my sleep when I was a boy, too.
Posted by mint chocolate chip on December 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM · Report this
nipper 8
@5 YEAH...but without the titties.

@6 turns out Nicky Hopkins is one of them hacks, which is huge bummer.
Posted by nipper on December 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 9
The Jefferson Airplane reunion tour was the first rock concert I attended. I was 13. My parents took me, they are big Jeff Airplane fans. I had a good time.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on December 12, 2012 at 7:32 PM · Report this
@7 as a child I dreamed I was a rockstar flying 1st class, and Howard Hughes was our Stewardess...TWA drag-uniformed Howie walked up the aisle and cheerfully handed each of us a big bottle of piss!

This 'song'/video was a like chuggin' a fifth of stale, lukewarm piss.
Posted by Czar PutinRasputin on December 14, 2012 at 5:45 PM · Report this