DJ Turquoise Wisdom (aka Zach Cowie, former Sub Pop employee and the catalyst behind Light in the Attic’s excellent Country Funk comp) has started a new website called Play It As It Lathes on which he digitizes gems from his extensive vinyl collection every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Cowie’s one of my favorite DJ/record collectors, and if you explore his mixes and this page long enough, there’s a good chance he’ll win your heart and mind, too.
Turquoise Wisdom also has a deeply poignant and beautiful new mix up at Aquarium Drunkard for your early-January/post-holidays blues, titled Like a Coat From the Cold. Track list after the jump. Ah, my favorite Talk Talk tune!
1. Terry Callier – Dancing Girl (excerpt) – What Color Is Love – Cadet (w/ a sampled introduction by Gil Scott Heron. RIP to both of you.)
2. Robert Wyatt – Biko – Work In Progress – Rough Trade
3. Henri Texier – Le Piroguier – Amir – Eurodisc
4. Talk Talk – I Believe In You – Spirit Of Eden – Parlophone
5. Byrds – Triad (DJ Steef “Triolisme” Edit) – 12″ – Magic Wand
6. Arthur Russell – Arm Around You – Calling Out Of Context – Rough Trade/Audika
7. You Gotta Woman (Abel Edit) – 12″ – ESP Institute
8. Ebo Taylor – Come Along – Afro Beat Airwaves – Analog Africa
9. Brigitte Fontaine & Areski – La Harpe Jaune – Vous Et Nous – Saravah
10. Smog – I Feel Like The Mother Of The World – A River Ain’t Too Much To Love – Drag City
11. R Stevie Moore – Time Standstill – Glad Music – New Rose
12. Big Star – Kanga Roo – The Third Album – Aura
13. Harold Budd – The Chill Air – Ambient 2: The Plateaux Of Mirror – Editions EG
14. Bill Fay – Cosmic Concerto (Life Is People) – Life Is People – Dead Oceans