Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What's the Weirdest Thing You've Sung at Karaoke?

Posted by on Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Few people have a stronger aversion to karaoke than I do. Sorry to be a spoilsport, but 98.7 percent of the folks who participate in karaoke have awful-to-mediocre voices and the musical taste to match. Life’s too short to submit to yet another “it’s so bad it’s good” rendition of Billy Joel’s “Big Shot” by Jake in accounting—way too short.

I don’t do karaoke because I know my voice is largely ill-suited for the task—and I don’t want to impose shittiness on others that I myself don’t want to endure. Plus, it’s doubtful most karaoke joints would accommodate the odd song I actually could pull off (Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra’s “Some Velvet Morning” (Lee's verses), the Godz“Womban,” Throbbing Gristle’s “Discipline”).

But maybe I’m out of the loop and perhaps the metro Seattle area actually has karaoke spots whose books burst with strange music. If so, please enlighten us. Whatever the case, I am curious to know what the weirdest song you karaoke lovers have done in public. Please tell me you belted out a killer version of PiL’s “Religion” in Bothell. Or something like that.

Comments (9) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Emily Nokes 1
Dave I would pay top dollar to see you irk some Belltown joint with a rendition of "Discipline."
Posted by Emily Nokes on January 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM · Report this
metallica, "one."
Posted by northaxe on January 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM · Report this
Ginnnny 3
Dude, get with it. Check out Baby Ketten Karaoke (http://babyketten.com/) at the Spectator or the Skylark Cafe. They do have "Some Velvet Morning," one Throbbing Gristle song ("Hamburger Lady"), and 2 PiL songs ("Rise" and "Flowers of Romance"). Not to mention internet memes like the "Bed Intruder Song" (with autotune) and a gibberish song written by an Italian guy. And if they don't have a song you want, you can request it, and if they can't find it to buy, they might make it from scratch.

And the awful-to-mediocre percentage of the singers is wayyyy lower than you think.

Read and understand: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/magazi…
(The article is about Portland karaoke, but Baby Ketten has a very active scene in Seattle, too.)
Posted by Ginnnny on January 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM · Report this
Thanks for the enlightenment, #3.
Posted by Dave Segal on January 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM · Report this
I used to like to do "Highway Star" which was mostly weird because they left the entire, like, five minute guitar solo AND organ solo in so you could literally go to the bathroom, order a drink, or go outside and smoke in the middle of the song. But I'd just stand there awkwardly smirking at my feet because somehow I always forgot about that.

I think Joan Baez's "Diamonds and Rust" would be a hilarious karaoke song. But most places have Janis Ian's "At Seventeen," which is close. And the Crescent had "Pictures of Matchstick Men." And I know a lot of places have both "Some Velvet Morning" and "Jackson" because my sister sings those.
Posted by virginia mason on January 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM · Report this
lowlytootle 6
The karaoke song I want to do more than anything is "Some Velvet Morning" and the weirdest song I ever sang was "Pony" by Ginuwine in a bar in Shoreline, after which guys at the bar were arguing about how "punk rock" my performance was. I guess it wasn't a weird choice, but it was one of my stranger karaoke experiences.
Posted by lowlytootle http://hollowearthradio.org/programs/134 on January 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM · Report this
LEE. 7
I once sang that "Cry Little Sister" song by Gerard MacMahon from the Lost Boys, which I guess isn't too weird until you factor in the incest-y lyrics and the confusing bridge. oh, I nailed that part where they hold "I need you noooooooooooooooooooooow..." for like 20 seconds and then abruptly hit the last chorus.
Posted by LEE. on January 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM · Report this
DavidG 8
Laurie Anderson, "O Superman"
Posted by DavidG http://portableshrines.com on January 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Laid Back "White Horse" with Baby Ketten. The man has a truly encyclopedic song book.
Posted by Place on January 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM · Report this