Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Doritos Music

Posted by on Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:14 PM

You know how when someone has a bag of Doritos and you’re all “mmm, Doritos sound good.” You mooch a chip or two and it hits the spot. But then when you actually go to the store and buy a bag of chips for yourself, it loses its luster almost immediately. Sometimes music is that way. I thought it was just a personal quirk of mine. But frequent Line Out commenter and Same Sex Dictator/Red Liquid member Lee Cizek mentioned having this issue in passing and now I realize it’s a universal thing.

For example, I like Drive Like Jehu. But I no longer own any Drive Like Jehu records. They always sound good when someone else puts them on, but whenever I try to listen to them on my own, I get fidgety by the second song. Come to think of it, I feel the same way about pretty much all of Rick Froberg’s stuff. I don’t know what my problem is; Hot Snakes always sound so good on someone else’s stereo.

Same thing with Portishead. And Gang of Four. I now refer to these bands as Doritos music. I like it when someone else is rockin’ it, but I can’t seem to get into it on my own.

What’s your Doritos music?

Comments (14) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
bunnypuncher 1
Fleetwood Mac.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on January 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM · Report this
Brian Cook 2
@1 totally
Posted by Brian Cook http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegutz on January 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 3
pretty much every rapper except a few. even kendrick lamar, dope as GKBC is, falls into this for me half the time. however, if i dare open a bag of doritos, i'm going to smash it to the filter. guaranteed. i might call this "fritos music" as it applies to myself.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on January 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 4
How dare you call Hot Snakes Doritos music.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on January 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM · Report this
dangerousgift 5
Extra Life
Posted by dangerousgift on January 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM · Report this
DavidG 6
Don't even diss on Portishead. Have you heard Third, their last album after a 10 year hiatus? Next leve shit.
Posted by DavidG http://portableshrines.com on January 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM · Report this
LEE. 7
@4

one of my bandmates has the Doritos issue with Hot Snakes. it's more common than you'd like to believe.

@1&2

you should both be ashamed of yourselves :)

when I brought this topic up, I believe it was in reference to bands like Crystal Stilts and Weekend (the shoegaze one). they always sound great on the radio, but their albums bore the crap out of me. also, just about every black/death/doom metal band ever. there are about a dozen subgenre metal bands people should know and love. outside that is just overkill. I'm not saying I haven't gone down the rabbit hole with NWOBHM, thrash, black, etc myself, and I listen to a lot of those bands often...I'm just saying most people aren't doing anything that new. when you see the guy at the show with the cut off jean vest and 30 patches on it, don't feel bad that you haven't heard 3/4's of the bands.
Posted by LEE. on January 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM · Report this
fleetwood mac is totally doritos music, because i think doritos tastes like shit, and are probably one of the worst foods i can imagine but everyone else seems to love them.
Posted by cb on January 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Brian Cook 9
@4 phenomenal live band. even own one of their records. never sounds as good as when someone else is playing it.

@6 yup. i have heard Third many, many times. and i think it's amazing... on other peoples' stereos.
Posted by Brian Cook http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegutz on January 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM · Report this
julie russell 10
Ummm...Rick Froberg (w/ Obits)covering Mink Deville's Let Me Dream was one of my fave live show moments. Awesome.
Posted by julie russell http:// on January 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM · Report this
Andrew Chapman 11
My doritos music is usually dance and rap. Some non-rap/dance exceptions are White Stipes, Lightning Bolt, Dead Kennedy's, anything Mike Patton and most K Records. I love it when I hear it at people's houses, or in bars, but when I get to those tracks on my own, they never hold up. Total doritos music. Or maybe teriyaki music? Teriyaki is almost never as good "to-go" as it is sitting in the restaurant. Maybe Teriyaki music is the mp3 equivalent of the doritos model. Do you think the paradigm changes though with songs that are one hit wonders, where people can download, steal, or youtube one song from an artist and not the whole record? Then when folks who do grab the whole album get a fuller picture and that doritos burden gets shifted to us? Sometimes it happens with nostalgia rock, (like Yes or Supertramp) but thats what greatest hits compilations are for I suppose. Also, I completely agree about Drive Like Jehu and Jon's after-bands.
Posted by Andrew Chapman http://princessismetal.blogspot.com/ on January 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM · Report this
Andrew Chapman 12
Sorry, I meant Rick...
Posted by Andrew Chapman http://princessismetal.blogspot.com/ on January 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM · Report this
corey j brewer 13
Pixies. I never need to put on one of their records again, someone else always seems to do it for me.
Posted by corey j brewer http://coreyjbrewer.tumblr.com/ on January 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM · Report this
Snack swap! Drive Like Jehu trade for some Grateful Dead Pigpen-looking clods in Witchfinder General cloaks sprinkled liberally with A(l)mon(d) D(rizz)üül. Bahlsen Choco Leibniz - eat your heart out!

We'll be making funion(s) of this shitbaggery forever.
Posted by du333w0p0o on February 1, 2013 at 2:19 AM · Report this