Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hello, Coachella Lineup Poster.

Posted by on Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Well, it felt like they certainly took their time (perhaps waiting for inauguration fever to cool?) doing it, but the curation heroes at Goldenvoice revealed the lineup for Coachella(s) 2013 this evening via their Twitter account. Confirming some badly kept secrets (Sigur RÓs, the Postal Service) and providing more than a few surprises, here's this year's poster:

Coachella 2013
  • Coachella 2013 (click to zoom)

As with last year, the festival to kick off festival season will take place over two weekends in Indio: Coachella Prime runs from April 12th – 14th, and Clonechella repeats the whole thing from April 19th to 21st. I'm still processing all of the small print, but my first thought is that this is the first lineup in a few years without one night toplined by a major hip-hop artist (maybe they needed a break after Hologram Tupac). My second thought is that Red Hot Chili Peppers closing out Sunday night will make it extremely easy to get a great spot at any of the secondary stages. My memory of their performance at the 2007 festival is that their popularity in Southern California is astonishing. At first glance, I'd also say that it looks a little bit light on the EDM that kept the dance kids occupied for hours on end, but I also realize that my ability to recognize tent-filling acts is limited to the very most mainstream acts. Finally, although rumors and clues had started to reach the level of near-certainty, its kind of surprising that the Rolling Stones aren't anywhere to be found on this poster. Given their denials earlier this week, it sounds like no one should expect their names to fill in any of that whitespace, Prince or Madonna-style, as a late-breaking addition to that blank space on the poster, either.

Other headliers include a reunited Stone Roses, Blur (Fridays) and Phoenix performing a few weeks after the release of hotly anticipated (by me, at least) new album Bankrupt!. They'll be supported by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Modest Mouse, Lou Reed, Jurassic 5, & Grinderman (Fridays); The xx, Sigur RÓs, New Order, Hot Chip, Grizzly Bear (Saturdays); Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Vampire Weekend (on the eve of their new album whose cover does not look like this), Social Distortion, and the Wu-Tang Clan (Sundays). Aside from Mr. Gibbard, other Seattleites on the bill include Allen Stone and Reignwolf. My head's already spinning while I reconsider whether it'll be possible to take it all in in just a single overstimulated weekend instead of taking a more leisurely pace through bothchellas.

After the presale sold out in less than a day last May more festival passes for both weekends will go on sale Tuesday, January 29th at 10 AM PST for $349. Perhaps an indication of ticket availability is that tickets for weekend one will only be available when purchased with a shuttle pass ($399) or a car camping pass ($434). Who do you among the headliners or magnifier-required microprint (they found Earl Sweatshirt!) that might convince you to make a spring break to Indio?

And what might this all mean for the Sasquatch! lineup — which will be revealed on February 4th launch party at the Neptune? Let us know your thoughts, gripes, and omgomgs in the comments.

Comments (14) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Emily Nokes 1
CHIIIIIIIIIII PEPPPPPPPPSSSS!!!!!!
Posted by Emily Nokes on January 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM · Report this
yos-wa 2
more bands i'd like to see than in previous years.....however, fuck festivals.
Posted by yos-wa on January 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 3
"Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra" is apparently not just a fake band name they made up to see if people were reading all of the fine print.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 4
This one is HURTIN
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on January 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM · Report this
Megan Seling 5
What the fuck are the Descendants doing there?
Posted by Megan Seling on January 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM · Report this
care bear 6
Jesus Christ, that is expensive.
Posted by care bear on January 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM · Report this
very bad homo 7
New Order have broken up and reunited yet again!
But screw festivals, how many of these bands will make it to Seattle? (And I don't mean for Sasquatch...)
Posted by very bad homo on January 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM · Report this
Teenage Kelly: "Ooh, The Violent Femmes!"
College Kelly: "Richie Hawtin... and Nick Cave!"
2012 Kelly: "Danny Brown!!!!"
2013 Kelly: "I am not paying $434 to sleep in a parking lot, so I can stand in the same audience as Paris Hilton."
Posted by Kelly O on January 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 9
I guess that tickets -- which include all of the fees -- are a bit more expensive than things like Sasquatch? Which is admittedly both a smaller festival that lasts a day longer. Still, I'm delighting in all of the small print mini-fests on this poster.

I haven't camped at Coachella since my first year, when there wasn't even any car camping allowed, so I have no idea what that experience is like these days.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 10
(It's not-exactly my Rushmore, but I do acknowledge that I'm a confirmed Coachella apologist.)
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
Rabid Child Images 11
@5 i think you mean descendents. i saw an interview with milo saying that he can't get time away from his work so he has to use his vacation and sick days to play one off shows. so it's not that surprising. i would love to see them in a club but man i hate festivals. and i'm not rich....i'm just glad they're playing again. if they play sasquach i might consider going just because it may be my only chance to see them.
Posted by Rabid Child Images http://flickr.com/photos/rabidchildimages/sets on January 25, 2013 at 6:04 PM · Report this
@3 Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra is an amazing, wonderful band that very rarely makes it to the US. Easily the most exciting band of the festival for me.
Posted by libblerabble on January 26, 2013 at 4:34 AM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 13
Definitely a rich-person festival. I'd rather go to Barcelona's Primavera Sound or this year's UK-based ATP (and they aren't cheap either).
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on January 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM · Report this
Simone 14
Holy Sea Crabs that's a lot of money (not including airfare or car travel cost). I'd rather purchase a travel package for Icelandic Airwaves for a little more money.
Posted by Simone on January 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM · Report this