Line Out Music & the City at Night

Saturday, January 26, 2013

NSI Presents: On The Prowl

Posted by on Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Here's the third installment in a series of old skateboarding VHS tapes, the first two can be found here and here. On the Prowl is a video that I recall from the olden days by name only. After watching the first five minutes, I couldn't remember any of the footage, because it's really fucking boring.

ON_THE_PROWL.JPG

With as much credit as the Alva team got over the years, their style was always clunky brute force that doesn't make for interesting videos. The first segment of On the Prowl is Chris Cook and Jeff Hartsel doing kick-turns on a tall quarter pipe and simply riding over a medium height jump ramp. Sometimes they attack a parking block with as much grace as one of my uncles eating an ear of field corn at an Ohio summer BBQ. I can assure you, that's graceless.

A band called Bad Reputation provides a majority of the soundtrack for the video, which is mostly limp mid-tempo metal. My favorite part of this tape is being reminded of some horrible fashions, like those hideous Vision Street Wear light blue skull berets and double (and sometimes triple) hip sacks. Oh, and if you pause the frame at 10:36, you can see my friend Paul Tempest and I on the right side of the screen. That footage is from Dayton, Ohio and the first pro competition that either of us had ever been to. Paul's father was kind enough to drive us there and back as we were 12 years old at the time. Mr. Tempest was always an admirable adult, I hope he's doing well today.

Comments (6) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
dude now thats funny my godfather lives in dayton. hahaha..
Posted by tim koch on January 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM · Report this
not far from this place here actually:

Posted by tim koch on January 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM · Report this
Funny to think of the Alva team as lacking style. Sure, some of those guys had brute force, but the team also included Christian Hosoi (before he started his own company), John Gibson (amazing style -- counterbalancing the brute force of fellow Texan Craig Johnson), Jef Hartsel, Eddie Reatigui. Bill Danforth always skated ugly, and so did Murph, but let's not forget that TA was one of the innovators in stylish, surf-inspired skateboarding. The videos that Alva did put out in the late 1980s and early 90s were focused on backyard pool skating and not that exciting, but they had some amazing new rippers such as Justin Lynch. I skated for Alva, that's why I feel personally and deeply insulted. Just jokes.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on January 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM · Report this
derek_erdman 4
@3: Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they lacked style. I meant to imply that they had the style of a bunch of sleepy dudes installing a septic tank in a rural area in 100 degree weather.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on January 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM · Report this
@4 Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good. The Variflex dudes -- those guys lacked style. Jeff Jones. Some of the Walker guys. Mike McGill.
Posted by carnivorous chicken on January 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM · Report this
Was there at the pro demo am contest in dayton ohio. Mike vallely killed it ! Was wondering if anyone has or knows how to get more or all of that contest. Been waiting 26 long years to see that footage again. please send response to yuck_fou_12@yahoo Thanks for the post of this video !
Posted by krookeddp on December 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM · Report this