Line Out Music & the City at Night

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

LOST (TV Series 2004–2010)

Posted by on Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Hey, dudes? I was wondering, I'm watching LOST for the first time and everybody says it starts getting dumb. It seemed to start getting dumb in the 2nd Season, but now I just started Season Four... is this where it gets REALLY dumb? Also, just tell me the ending now. I mean, somebody told me that they're already dead but there has to be more to that because that's just ultimately the worst.

Lost W/ Pasta, 2013
  • Lost W/ Pasta, 2013

Also, Shannon was the best character. It's dumb that she died so early. She should have her own show of just her reading Beverly Cleary books. If anybody reading this is in the TV business, a show of Shannon reading Henry and Ribsy would make a lot of money.

Mary P. Traverse: SHANNON WAS NOT THE BEST CHARACTER! OMG are you TROLLING ME?!

Gregory Jacobsen: Season 4 is when it starts to get real good- absurd convolution. The ending was terrible, but it doesn't matter.

Sarah Dandelles: Lost is like the puffy kind of Cheetos. Dumb in all ways but you still eat them/it. Watch. whatever.

Derek Erdman: YEAH, BUT NO SHANNON.

Comments (30) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
This show hugged nuts. It was awful.
Posted by NoNoNo on January 30, 2013 at 4:09 PM · Report this
Emily Nokes 2
@1 - It did what? That is the coolest new slang I have ever heard.
Posted by Emily Nokes on January 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 3
@2: From what I could tell, it's a new way to say that Lost is also men's underwear.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on January 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM · Report this
Sargon Bighorn 4
LOST was okay until the writers were staring the end in the face, then it fell all to hell. And "hugging nuts" is what a Str8 guy says when he thinks he's cool, but is not. It's not a Gay thing to say, which is cool.
Posted by Sargon Bighorn on January 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM · Report this
emma's bee 5
Why is this not a multiple choice option? Statements 2, 6, 7 & 8 are all clearly true. And where is the option where Desmond is the biggest hunk?
Posted by emma's bee on January 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM · Report this
Trent Moorman 6
May be the best pasta shot yet.
Posted by Trent Moorman on January 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
stinkbug 7
Just start watching UK's Utopia instead.
Posted by stinkbug on January 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM · Report this
It wasn't just Ana Lucia- Libby was busted for drunk driving on the same night... and then *coincidentally* they both get killed off at the same time on the show. Yeah right.
Posted by UNPAID COMMENTER on January 30, 2013 at 5:08 PM · Report this
singing cynic 9
Where's "Sayid is the ultra hunk"? I still have dreams about being "interrogated" by him.

Seasons 3 and 4 are kind of lame-ish, but it won me back over the last two seasons - in part because of the increased screen time of my two favorite characters (Ben and Desmond). It's all terrible science, but think of it as more fantasy than sci-fi and you'll be able to appreciate it more.

I liked LOST, for all its flaws. And don't worry, they're not really all dead. Everything you've seen is actually happening.

Posted by singing cynic on January 30, 2013 at 5:10 PM · Report this
seatackled 10
Was Shannon the Maggie Grace character? She was about as good a character as Wesley Crusher. When you got to the end (the episode where Wesley and Picard crashed on a desert planet and Picard was injured), you had some decent chactacter development, but before that, yawnsville.
Posted by seatackled on January 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM · Report this
Granny Smith 11
Just forget about all the mysterious stuff. It is just window dressing. The show is about the people and their flashbacks and interpersonal relationships. None of the rest of it matters one bit to the writers so it shouldn't matter to you. "it is magic" is as good an answer as you will get. The smoke monster is just a really angry smoke monster. The others are just other people. Just forget about that stuff and enjoy the individual episodes.
Posted by Granny Smith on January 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM · Report this
singing cynic 12
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering what's so awesome about Shannon. I mean, there's more to her than meets the eye, but, um, that's kind of the point of the show. Not nearly as interesting as some of the others! Sun is pretty awesome in the gal department.
Posted by singing cynic on January 30, 2013 at 5:17 PM · Report this
Granny Smith 13
It is "the love boat" and those of us who thought it was about "the boat" and not the love stories, were very disappointed.
Posted by Granny Smith on January 30, 2013 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Just finished reading "The Revolution Was Televised," and it made me nostalgic for "Lost," even its flaws.
Posted by Ms. D on January 30, 2013 at 5:24 PM · Report this
diminished 15
more pasta. not like do more of these, i mean i want more pasta in each one. also: if you could work in some lostagna into this one that'd be great.
Posted by diminished on January 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM · Report this
@5 and @9, yes to hunks. Also @9, yes to revelation that they aren't dead. I thought they were after my first time watching the show. But I just very recently watched again because my SO hadn't seen it, and they are definitely not already dead.

P.S. Shannon is the worst character. Almost as worst as Boone.
Posted by JSilver on January 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM · Report this
Supreme Ruler Of The Universe 17
My only question about LOST was why they hired some of the most delicious actresses in the history of TV and then methodically kill them off at a rate 2x that of the male characters? JJ Abrams, we're calling!
Posted by Supreme Ruler Of The Universe http://www.you-read-it-here-first.com on January 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 18
@13 -- that may be the best explanation of the LOST fan dichotomy I've ever read. I thought the ending was swell.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on January 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM · Report this
pfffter 19
Sayid and Eko were the ultra hunks. This slog poll was obviously skewed toward whites.
Posted by pfffter on January 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM · Report this
Ethan wasn't on the plane.
Posted by PA Native on January 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM · Report this
I enjoyed watching Lost and getting involved with the characters and the "mysteries." That said, the thing that bugged me the most is the squandered opportunity of it all. I would think that the greatest gift to a television writer, of serialized shows in particular, would be to have a strong commitment from a network for an end date several seasons out. This would give you an opportunity to intelligently plan out how to carry your story arc to its strongest possible conclusion.

Instead, with Lost, the writers kept adding characters and mythology and new twists/gimmicks (flashback! flash-forward! time jumping! flash-sideways!) until the bitter end, the last half of the final season, at which point it was impossible to tie up all the loose ends they had created. The sloppiness of it all was a real disservice to the actors who drove the characters and the fans who helped to keep the show alive.
Posted by cjb5 on January 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM · Report this
Posted by Joe Szilagyi http://twitter.com/joeszi on January 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 23
@9 I hope you've seen The Buddha of Suburbia. You get to see quite a bit of Naveen Andrews...
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on January 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM · Report this
@21,

I agree. While I enjoyed watching Lost (watched every show except the first one), after awhile I figured out that there were too many subplots and storylines to wrap up properly.

But the ride was mostly fun. I tried to get into that dinosaur show on Fox, but that was a true mess. Wasn't surprised when it was quickly canceled.
Posted by Patricia Kayden on January 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM · Report this
Fenrox 25
I mean, it's fine. Homeland is a total pile of shit. The wire was paced like a fart. Downton Abby is fucking boring.

All shows are all things, as people are scum.

Take the Simpsons, did it get worse, did it get better, is it still funny? Of course, maybe you just don't get it anymore. If anyone laughs it's funny.
Posted by Fenrox on January 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM · Report this
T 26
@21 Agreed. I watched the show live every single week starting with season 2 (after having watched all of season 1 in the span of a weekend). I was very much into the intrigue and mystery of it all, but none of it really mattered when all was said and done. I enjoyed the ride and actually liked the finale quite a bit, but I sold my season 1-5 DVDs shortly after the end because I couldn't see myself actually plowing through the whole thing ever again, knowing that none of what made the show interesting truly mattered.
Posted by T on January 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM · Report this
ingopixel 27
Oh my effing god people, Jin was clearly the hunkiest. What is WRONG with you people???

The ending was a little disappointing and I was sad that all the hours I spent rewinding and pausing and obsessing over the Lost Wiki for clues to the tiniest mysteries in every single scene were for naught. But man, wasn't it fun to have something to obsess over like that?
Posted by ingopixel on January 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM · Report this
lowlytootle 28
@19 and others, I think Derek was being sarcastic about the "hunkiest" because the main dudes in the show were so ridiculously MANLY it was absurd and over-the-top.
Posted by lowlytootle http://hollowearthradio.org/programs/134 on January 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM · Report this
lowlytootle 29
And I couldn't stop thinking over and over about how the ladies on that show had access to such good waxing professionals while on a DESERT FUCKING ISLAND!! i.e. Kate's eyebrows.
Posted by lowlytootle http://hollowearthradio.org/programs/134 on January 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM · Report this
Sawyer was absolutley the 'hunkiest" guy on the island! Sayid was pretty hot too. I Watched all 6 seasons in one month on Netflix. LOVED IT even though I was left confused and obsessing over it most of the time. I was totally addicted, would stay up late watching it for hours "one more episode, one more episode" till I couldn't stay awake anymore. Anyone else fell addicted like that?
Posted by Renee98 on February 16, 2013 at 4:53 PM · Report this