Line Out Music & the City at Night

Sunday, February 3, 2013

OMGMBV: My Bloody Valentine Actually Released a New Album Last Night

Posted by on Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

20130201033613-1301c6d2-acbf-4d94-89cd-acfd99cdc850.jpg

Almost twenty-two years since their last album, and after nearly a decade of broken promises about the timing (or existence) of a follow-up to their iconic 1991 album Loveless, My Bloody Valentine made good on Kevin Shields's remark to a London concertgoer and put a brand new record on their website late yesterday afternoon.

Although the site was overwhelmed for the first few hours after they announced the album, m b v, on their Facebook, it eventually seemed to have summoned reinforcements (or was just less overwhelmed once much of the world went to sleep or went out to engage in activities more/less exciting than a Saturday night frantically refreshing their web browsers). The record is for sale as 180 gram vinyl ($30.50), CD ($22), both of which include a choice of various flavors of immediate digital downloads ($16, without the physical media). If you want to play before you pay, the whole thing is on YouTube.

Grab your copy, let it ravage your eardrums, and let's chat about it?

Comments (8) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
matt 1
Been checking it out today, listened all the way through once, and some cuts here and there; sounds great. They stick to the formula, they don't embarrass themselves with an attempt to modernize, and they still have the goods. A worthy successor.
Posted by matt on February 3, 2013 at 12:43 PM · Report this
it's really nice. looking forward to a long piece from segal on this.
Posted by captain underpants on February 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM · Report this
Summerisle 3
I know it's a good album when I look forward to hearing it again. Good for them releasing it themselves. Looking forward to the vinyl because the high quality digital download included sounds really good.
Posted by Summerisle http://www.facebook.com/biggieJ?ref=name on February 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM · Report this
Josh Bis 4
My first listen suggests that it sounds a whole lot like My Bloody Valentine. Will give it another spin to confirm.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on February 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM · Report this
very bad homo 5
I know I'm old, but $22 seems pretty expensive for a CD.
Posted by very bad homo on February 4, 2013 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Fnarf 6
I was hoping for a little more. The formula is there -- fuzz, pitch wobble, dreamy vocals -- but it doesn't seem like they're doing anything new. Or maybe I've just moved on. I guess I was hoping for more fuck-you kook avant-gardisms, like Scott Walker's recent "Bish Bosch" -- in particular, more tonal variety. There's some good bits -- I like the marching-band drums on "In Another Way" -- at least it has some rhythm to it -- and "Wonder 2" gets pretty weird. Maybe the other songs will grow on me. The backgrounds are pretty dense, who knows what's in there.

What I really want, of course, is "Sunny Sundae Smile" redux. But that's never going to happen.

It's cool that it's such an "event", though -- seems like there aren't too many of those anymore.

@5, the marginal cost of the CD is only $6, since the download is $16. I hope they sell a million of them.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on February 4, 2013 at 1:07 PM · Report this
I know I'm irrational. I know it's been 22 years in the making. I know I've spent $16-$22 on much dumber things.

But I'm with @5. I'm not paying $16 for a download. Not for anybody.

I'm so behind on new music anyway that there are records I've owned for months and have yet to hear.

Call me when there's an $11 general release for sale at Sonic Boom.
Posted by d.p. on February 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM · Report this
Josh Bis 8
I see what you're saying and have no room to say anything given my (paid) spotify addiction, but a $5 barrier to paying money directly to a band for their work vs. the hassle of waiting for it to get marked down at a record store all the way across town where the band will see a fraction of that money isn't really a contest for me.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on February 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM · Report this