Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, April 22, 2013

Everything's Gone Flag: Friday's Flag Show

Posted by on Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Here is the first I've seen of the now TWO Black Flag regroups. I gotta say Flag fucking owns this shit.

This Flag show was played to an invite-only crowd at Moose Lodge 1873 in Redondo Beach, California. BTW: Moose Lodge 1873 was where Black Flag played their first show in January, 1979. The Flag line up is Black Flag alumni Keith Morris, vox, Chuck Dukowski on bass, Dez Cadena playing guitar and singing, with Bill Stevenson on the drums; the second guitarist is Stephen Egerton from Descendents/All. Uh, I love the fuck outta Chavo, who is fronting the Greg Ginn Black Flag re-group, but after watching this vid I think I'd rather see Flag.

Comments (12) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Would pay to see Rollins punch every one of those audience members' cell phones right in to their faces.

Posted by Jeff on April 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM · Report this
snacktruck 2
The music is still pretty vital here - agreed. But I would much rather see Dez sing in place of Keith...he's theatrics (like the beginning of "Depression" is too much to watch. Plus, you know Morris is going to talk about the old days of punk rock - aw, grandpa, tell us another story!

Dukowski and Stevenson are killing it in this vid!
Posted by snacktruck on April 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 3
Holy shit, this sounds so good. I too was annoyed at the cell phones at first, and then I realized I was able to watch this because of a person filming this, probably on one as well. So, like, thanks bro!
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on April 22, 2013 at 12:48 PM · Report this
LEE. 4
@3

yeeeeeaaaaahhhh, but consider when the camera pans to the back and shows people moshing. THAT's what you want up front, not a sea of nerds and their LCDs.
Posted by LEE. on April 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM · Report this
As one who saw BF 30+ years ago, I'm partial to the Ginn iteration. His feedback distorted guitar defined the band sound and while the vocalists for the most part were interchangeable, I was partial to Dez; too bad he's not with Greg.

Flag sounds good and tight, but too clean and not quite raw enough for my taste.
Posted by neo-realist on April 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 6
@ 4, who the fuck ever wants to see moshing? I want to see the band.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 23, 2013 at 6:35 AM · Report this
Dougsf 7
I've never wanted to know how Pink Floyd fans felt in the 80's. Now I do, I guess.

Guitar sounds great in this vid, and Keith recorded some of my favorite material by them, but... without Greg Ginn? Doesn't seem right. Also, dreadlocks.
Posted by Dougsf on April 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM · Report this
nipper 8
@7 Also: balding W/dreadlocks! LULZ

I kinda missed the thickness of Ginn's guitar too, but then I haven't heard his contemporary guitar sound...the problem with an aging guitar players is they tend to get (ahem) better gear.
Posted by nipper on April 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM · Report this
Dougsf 9
@8 - I thought about that too. A lot of older musicians lack the humility to make the sound "right" if it means forgetting a lot of what you learned in the last few decades. Also, is Ginn's Black Flag billing the singer as "Chavo"? That's a funny little hole they dug themselves if that's the case.
Posted by Dougsf on April 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM · Report this
LEE. 10
@6

that's not my point and you know it. I don't care about seeing the moshing...no one does. but it usually happens closer to the front. now the front seems to be taken up by people recording with their phones. as a musician, I want to see people up front dancing, moshing, generally getting into it, rather than holding their security blanket in the air.
Posted by LEE. on April 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM · Report this
Matt from Denver 11
@ 10, you should be happy with whatever attention you get. Don't be a dick to your fans.
Posted by Matt from Denver on April 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM · Report this
LEE. 12
@11

what?! what the fuck are you talking about, man? how is saying "I'd like to see people up front dancing" being a dick? I never said anything about how that should be a rule and that I wish people who crossed it were thrown out or anything. I appreciate anyone who comes to my shows. it's simply stating a preference. and again, this isn't about me.

Matt, I like you...you seem to be one of the more intelligent contributors here who is not totally consumed by their own ego. and you kind of remind me of an older version me. but seriously, I get why people call you a troll. days after everyone left this conversation, you come back solely to call me a dick? the only reason that I found out you responded is because the thread is still listed as one of the most commented. you are clearly not that obtuse, so I can only assume you'rejust fucking with me. boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
Posted by LEE. on April 26, 2013 at 10:36 PM · Report this