Line Out Music & the City at Night

Saturday, July 13, 2013

There Are a Gazillion(!) People at the Sub Pop Jubilee

Posted by on Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Holy christ on a cracker! Jubilee was excellent, A+! It did, however, take me nearly two hours to get home, with my bad Metro bus advice, and a dead cell phone. (Also, note to cab drivers: THERE ARE STILL A GAZILLION PEOPLE STRANDED IN GEORGETOWN—go clean house!)

My highlights: Band "clipping." was a super surprise, super interesting show; King Tuff was fun and had the one of the dudes from Personal & the Pizzas on drums; TAD's Brothers of the Sonic Cloth played (sadly) at an impenetrable over-capacity area; Pissed Jeans blew everyone's heads off; METZ full-on raged; Shabazz Palaces were incredible, as always, (though, had speaker problems? That wasn't on purpose, was it?); Mudhoney was perfect (though CROWDED, oh, so crowded); Built to Spill (same as Mudhoney); and Father John Misty started his set late, but impressed all with his weirdly (endearing?) onstage dance moves.

I wish I had enough the stamina to see Deep Time and Protomartyr!

I also saw Mayor Mike McGinn walking his bicycle through the dense crowd, smiling, and wearing a Sub Pop t-shirt. Happy Birthday, SB! You a truly loved by hundreds of freaking people.

T-Shirt trivia: WHO AM I?
  • Kelly O
  • T-shirt trivia: WHO AM I?

Comments (11) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
undead ayn rand 1
"though, had speaker problems? That wasn't on purpose, was it?"

Hell no. Didn't the techs have some fricking gaff tape to wrap around whatever was getting disconnected? Sitting down and waiting for it to be unplugged, again (countless times) by the bass doesn't count as a "fix". I enjoyed the show but got really annoyed, really fast at the speaker problems.

Anyway, it was a lovely free show, though I left well before everything went mad.

Pissed Jeans were surprisingly entertaining, their banter and performance was top-notch.
Posted by undead ayn rand on July 14, 2013 at 8:35 AM · Report this
DOUG. 2
Tad was nowhere near capacity. I arrived as his set started, waited in line for 15 minutes and got in. Security was being pretty lame about letting people in, but once you were inside, there was plenty of room.

I'm a McGinn supporter, but it was embarrassing to hear him mispronounce J Mascis' name (he said something like "masses"). And a tucked-in white t-shirt is not a good look for you, Mr Mayor.

Overall it was a fucking awesome event. Georgetown is a great location for a street festival (I rode my bike). Thank you Sub Pop...let's do it again in 25 years!
Posted by DOUG. http://www.dougsvotersguide.com on July 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 3
That would be King Buzzo, long may he reign.
Posted by Gern Blanston on July 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 4
@3 - LOL
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on July 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM · Report this
TheMisanthrope 5
Tad was at whatever capacity they were limiting the Elysian beer garden too. It was nice while in there, and roomy. Such a contrast to the other two stages, particularly by the end of the night.

clipping. was really good, but I couldn't tell if I should be offended, or laughing or what. The sound was aces, but the lyrics seemed over the top, even by rap standards?
Posted by TheMisanthrope on July 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM · Report this
@3... Love Buzzo, but not him. One more guess!
Posted by Kelly O on July 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 7
@6 I have this sinking feeling that I'm not nearly hip enough to get the correct answer.
Posted by Gern Blanston on July 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM · Report this
It's a very young TAD! You're not unhip. Mr. Doyle looks quite a bit different these days, too, white beard an all:

Posted by Kelly O on July 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM · Report this
snacktruck 9
that's TAD? I thought it was Mayor McGuinn sans beardo. Anywho, watching the mayor pushing his bike through the crowds wearing his "crisp" Sub Pop shirt was hysterical...dude, lock your rig up!! *that guy*
Posted by snacktruck on July 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Gern Blanston 10
Interesting. I hadn't thought to consider TAD, but I can see it now. At least I was in the ball park.
Posted by Gern Blanston on July 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
Good show, although Watching Doug Martsch's awkward muppet head movements made me feel like I was watching an animatronic puppet band at Chuck E. Cheese.
Posted by j.lee on July 16, 2013 at 12:01 PM · Report this