Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, September 9, 2013

The New Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Video's Out

Posted by on Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Remember that time this summer when Macklemore had everybody standing outside Dick's and cheering while he jumped around on the roof (bearing a slight resemblance to a shih tzu)?

Well, the video for White Walls was just released a few minutes ago.

Do you find it wacky or merely wack? Do you feel the lady and the man making out with their mouths full of Olde English is subversive or just gross?

All I want to know is: What is Mix-a-lot mouthing through that truck windshield, man? I only got part of it on first watch.

Comments (33) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Sean Kinney 1
Maybe a Fellini afficianado might want to take a crack at interpreting this.

Mix-a-lot is a Husky fan. So that's enough for me.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on September 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM · Report this
The song is mediocre. The video is great. And Mix appears to be saying "Yeah motherfuckers! Westside for life! Sea-town for life!"
Posted by junipero on September 9, 2013 at 12:50 PM · Report this
This is so fucking weird and irrelevant.
Posted by The CHZA on September 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM · Report this
My guess ... "Yeeahhh muthafuckah...West coast for life...Sea-Town (something)".
Posted by t5tchick on September 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 5
Eh, I've liked some of his other songs better, but this video has some pretty funny shit in it. He seems to have a sense of humor about his own music here. Even with the humor, there's still a subtle underlying social consciousness to his casting choices. So good on him.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on September 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM · Report this
@5-- I believe it's "Sea-Town, biatch!"

Also, this video is awesome. I like the song twice as much as I did before I the video.

@Jen-- Clearly subversive. And also gross.
Posted by lopes on September 9, 2013 at 1:10 PM · Report this
What @5 said.
Posted by lopes on September 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM · Report this
Mackle Jackson. That's funny.
And possibly prophetic.
Posted by Pol Pot on September 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM · Report this
wisepunk 9
Seattle's hottest club is the roof of Dick's. This place has everything. Old English, Sir Mix-A-Lot, 10,000 hipsters and a grandma pool orgy. It finally answers the question "will macklemore make a video for every song on the album?"
Posted by wisepunk on September 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Cracker Jack 10
I'm old(er) and white with a general dislike for hip hop/rap/etc. I'm with Jen's earlier assessment, I don't like the song, except for the hook. I do think the video is fun, though I wonder if the ladies really knew what they were in for!

Dude can rhyme, just wish it weren't so full of the usual hip hop themes.
Posted by Cracker Jack on September 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM · Report this
snacktruck 11
Nickelbacklemore remains a video artist - please imagine just listening and not watching this. Ack. He continues to make these slam poetry raps and well, representing Seattle. Good for him I guess, he's stacking up the dough!! If that is a measurement of success then he's a success.
Posted by snacktruck on September 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM · Report this
ballard dude 12
Like the song, love the vid. Interesting, though, that in light of Miley Cyrus being criticized for using black people as background on MTV, here's another example of a white pop star using black girls as background (the 2 fly girls in the green).
Posted by ballard dude on September 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM · Report this
All you need to know about dude:

Posted by Wack on September 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM · Report this
that time macklem indeed!
Posted by The CHZA on September 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM · Report this
I feel this way about pretty much every video they do: needs more Ryan Lewis, since he steals the screen when he's on it.
Posted by Madasshatter on September 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM · Report this

Oh snap.
Posted by Nikemore on September 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM · Report this
Fuck you slog comment system.

that-time-macklemore-stole-thrift-shop-from-a-queer-new-york-rapper-20130827/
Posted by Have you ever killed a Coyote? (WTF???) on September 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM · Report this
It's my house that he's shooting arrows towards at the end of the video. It was weird to wake up, look outside my bedroom window and see Macklemore pointing an arrow at me.
Posted by stuffandthings on September 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Reverse Polarity 19
@12, the difference to me is that Macklemore seems to have a real interest and understanding of black culture (as much as that is possible for a white guy) and civil rights. He is a progressive activist. His interaction with black artists seems sincere and legit. Miley Cyrus, on the other hand, seems completely oblivious to any cultural sensitivity, and uses blacks solely for window dressing. I don't know either of them personally, so I could be completely wrong. That's just the impression I get.
Posted by Reverse Polarity on September 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM · Report this
I thought this was guy was supposed to have more substance than your average rapper? The whole first verse was about his rims and the word bitch is littered throughout it.

This song sucks, this video sucks.

He'll be bartending in the Cha Cha basement in 2 years.
Posted by whothefuckisthis on September 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM · Report this
Sean Kinney 21
@16, @17: Please. Those songs are nothing alike. The idea that rappers create original work out of whole cloth is ridiculous on its face. The entire game is predicated on creative appropriation, pastiche, or the hybridization of differing genres.
Posted by Sean Kinney http:// on September 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM · Report this
@20-- Next time, try digging in a little bit instead of finding a couple of surface flaws and dismissing the whole thing.

1. Macklemore will be the first to tell you that he idloized hip-hop culture growing up. That comes through over and over again: in this song, in "Wings," and in "Can't Hold Us" when he references "wanting gold fronts/But that's what you get when Wu-Tang raised you." Having "substance" (whatever that means) doesn't mean that you run away from the genre completely. It's a part of who he is. Like it or don't, but you can't just dismiss it as contradictory. Well, you can, but that's lazy. He also has shown that he realizes now how ridiculous and offensive a lot of the culture he idolized is. Why do you think there are grannies in the pool instead of hot young women? It's because he's also mocking the culture that brought us videos full of bikini-clad women in hot tubs and dancing around the pool. That doesn't mean that he can't acknowledge and carry on some influences that shaped him. It's not binary.

2. He uses the term "bitch" exactly once in that verse. It is not "littered throughout it." And he doesn't use it in reference to a woman. He's not talking about his "bitches." He's using the colloquial and generic "bitch." AND! He even cuts right to a shot of a dog when he says it! See, he's being funny, and even mocking the use a little.

Not that you care about any of that, of course.
Posted by lopes on September 9, 2013 at 5:53 PM · Report this
No, you are right. I don't care at all. Thank you for your thoughtful and well-thought out reply to my garbage comment.

I still think Macklemore is a joke.
Posted by whothefuckisthis on September 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM · Report this
Seattle_1_scientist 24
That was freakin' awesome.
Posted by Seattle_1_scientist http://https://twitter.com/bad__scientist on September 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 25
Let's dress up as hipsters.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM · Report this
johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt 26
No sunflowers were hurt in the making of this video.
Posted by johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt on September 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM · Report this
@21 Not similar??? They even copied the "what what what". Regardless dudes music is just straight up corny IMHO. Ya ya I knows it's subjective, but if not being from Seattle would anyone here really like dudes music??? I'm being for real! It's on par with crap you'd ecpect to hear on a Disney sitcom. Call me a hater...shit is corny (literally).
Posted by Corny on September 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM · Report this
@20 and all the other negative being said here, all I want to say is I lived in western Washington for 14 years and I find Macklemore and Ryan Lewis very refreshing not only for the music which brings back so many great memories of the great northwest, like Dave Niehaus and Sir-Mix-Alot. It also reminds me of the times I went down to Tacoma with my buddy from work and getting trashed on Old English, which I never drank b4 that. It also refreshing because it brings Seattle back into the national light. During the days of Nirvana and the rest of the grunge scene, it was exciting times musically for the northwest. People moving there from California and other places exploding the population and the traffic. I remember standing in downtown Seattle watching an outdoor show watching the Presidents of the USA and then going to the Planet Hollywood opening a few blocks away. When I see the crowds up on Broadway by Dick's I wish I was still in Seattle. I enjoy Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's music and I enjoy the videos. Anyone wanting to complain, just be happy Miley Cyrus isn't from the northwest.
Posted by OakHarbor1988 on September 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM · Report this
I'll say it too: Sir Mix-A-Lot was never that good either. He had one big song and that's it. Nobody ever plays his other shit because it's not that good.
Posted by The CHZA on September 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM · Report this
actually when it was 1990 and the Rap music was an infant, Sir Mix-A-Lot was the shit and it was good as anything else at the time. SWASS was the shit and Posse On Broadway was playing everywhere I went around Seattle.Sir only had the Baby Got Back hit and never really achieved a large amount of success due to low promotion from his label at the time but he does still write and produce and is part of the industry. Funny thing I am writing to defend Seattle Hip-Hop when I don't care for a majority of the music and listen to more rock and alternative.
Posted by OakHarbor1988 on September 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Fenrox 31
Why was that video so literal?
Posted by Fenrox on September 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
@28. Shut up. I seriously don't care if Seattle's music never gets popular with the rest of the country... if it means corny ass shit like Mackelmore DOES NOT represent our town (you did say you moved, right?).

And seriously, During the days of Nirvana and the rest of the grunge scene, it was exciting times musically for the northwest. People moving there from California and other places exploding the population and the traffic."

What the fuck does this say? So what if this guy wrote a shitty ass rap about the '95 mariners? It means jack shit to me, because the music sounds like unoriginal, sterile garbage that would probably not get more than a thousand plays on local radio in ANY other city except one with weird of a hip hop scene as Seattle has.

Posted by whothefuckisthis on September 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM · Report this
lolorhone 33
@32: ...sounding like a tiresome hipster AND being unnecessarily hostile/condescending to your former neighbor...double dick move, man.
Posted by lolorhone on September 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM · Report this