Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, December 5, 2013

My Beef* With Jay Z and Beyonce's Vegan Adventure

Posted by on Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

*I don’t really have a beef with this; I just think this headline’s a real eye-grabber.

Hiphop mogul/rapper Jay Z announced on his blog Dec. 3 that he and his wife/R&B superstar Beyoncé will eat a vegan diet for 22 days. Challenged by a friend to consume only plant-based meals, the veteran rapper—who just turned 44—decided to accept it and will eat no meat or dairy products until Christmas. After that they will consider whether to continue to live on the higher evolutionary plane where vegans exist.

I wish both musicians the best of luck and hope they find veganism to be beneficial to their physical, mental, and spiritual well-being. If nothing else, it will reduce the amount of mucus in their noses and throats, and that can only improve Jay and Bey’s vocal capabilities. Plus, if going vegan is good enough for André 3000, Morrissey, Moby, N.O.R.E., Robin Pecknold, Russell Simmons, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Geezer Butler, Berry Gordy, Chrissie Hynde, Jónsi (Sigur Rós), and Ian MacKaye, it should be good enough for the Roc-A-Fella Records/Brooklyn Nets boss and Sasha Fierce.

Let us hope that these vastly influential celebrities’ example spurs their millions of fans to follow suit, thereby setting humanity on a path to a more sustainable, eco-friendly, and potentially less obesity-plagued future. Let us hope they're not just doing this for the publicity.

Comments (17) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
AFinch 1

I think you really meant moralizing plane (note: moralizing, not moral).

Posted by AFinch on December 5, 2013 at 8:57 AM · Report this
MrBaker 2
I wonder what the $50 t-shirts to commemorate this will look like.
Posted by MrBaker http://manywordsforrain.blogspot.com/ on December 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM · Report this
"Or at least until they start to realize they've got malnutrition issues from a diet for which they are not, in fact, evolved."

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read on Slog. And that's saying something.
Posted by Trolls Are Getting Dumber on December 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM · Report this
TomJohnsonJr 4
I think they're doing it for the prestige, which isn't too uncommon.
Posted by TomJohnsonJr on December 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM · Report this
Emily Nokes 5
I am going to make them the greatest vegan peanut-butter cups, THEN they will ask me to move into their mansion and become their vegan sweets chef, THEN I'll babysit Blue, THEN we'll all be best friends.

J and Bey's month of veganism is already the best thing that ever happened to me.
Posted by Emily Nokes on December 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM · Report this
If I had a chef to cook me vegan meals, I would go vegan too. Does PETA offer free cooking classes and grocery lists?
Posted by wxPDX on December 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 7
I'm just scared Hov will use his newfound Vegan Telekinesis to further the Illuminati's dark and blood-soaked agenda
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on December 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM · Report this
@5: You go!
Posted by Hanoumatoi on December 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Went vegan for a year when I turned thirty - gained twenty pounds, cholesterol was a mess, blood pressure unacceptable, and grew a really nice set of boobs from all the damn soy products. Now I basically eat lean meat, roughage and legumes, things are all good. My year of veganism was one of the dumbest things I ever did to my health. Cutting out the processed carbs and sugar was the healthiest thing I ever did.
Posted by johnjjeeves on December 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM · Report this
@9: Perhaps you just weren't very good at it. Obviously your experience is not typical.
Posted by bigyaz on December 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM · Report this
@10 - Uh huh. Because obviously in a world where nothing is right for everyone being a vegan is the one thing that's right for everyone. Except you have to have some level of 'competence,' apparently? I'm absolutely dying to know what your definition of the 'typical' vegan is, btw.

Honestly - be a bigger perfect example of vegan douche.
Posted by johnjjeeves on December 5, 2013 at 1:43 PM · Report this
#10 I had the same experience as #9: only I got deathly ill, and didn't need the bonus of bigger breasts.

Went to a holistic doctor, and after a series of tests, he advised me that I was someone who needed a certain amount of animal protein in my diet, and not so many damn refined carbs, or grains.

Now, my blood pressure and cholesterol levels are back to normal, and I'm otherwise healthy.

So you can take you're cultish moralizing and shove it where the sun don't shine.
Posted by judybrowni on December 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM · Report this
If veganism resulted in breast enlargement, half the female population would be vegan.
Posted by ian on December 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM · Report this
No one diet is right for everyone. Veganism can be a healthy good choice for some people. It doesn't seem to work well for some people, and maybe there is a way for them to be vegan and healthy, but if it's ridiculously difficult, it's probably not a good solution for them anyway. Soy does mimic female hormones, so it can cause issues. This is why too much soy is not recommended for people who have had certain thyroid issues. Of course, lots of things that mimic female hormones are in our environment, such as in certain plastics. It's actually causing males to be likely to have smaller penises than they would otherwise. Pollution is a problem. Of course, it's also really messing up some animals. But that goes way beyond what dietary choices people make. So soy really isn't the biggest thing most people have to worry about. And, of course, you can be vegan and not consume much soy. Soy is just easy, so lots of vegans and inexperienced vegans leap to eating a bunch of it. A properly balanced diet is vital regardless of whether it's vegan, vegetarian, or omnivorous. As is one that takes any individual needs into account.

I know people who have had great health improvement by eating far fewer carbs. And I know someone who has had health problems whenever she has tried to do so and whose body seems to react really well to a higher-carb diet. I strongly support people figuring out what works for their own bodies and paying more attention to that than any fad. The fad might work for you, so feel free to try it, but if it doesn't, then try something else and go with what works, not what you think ought to work.
Posted by uncreative on December 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM · Report this
#13 gee thanks for minimizing my soy poisoning, asshole.
Posted by judybrowni on December 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM · Report this
sirkowski 16
Mucus is an important part of your respiratory defense system. e_e
Posted by sirkowski http://www.missdynamite.com on December 6, 2013 at 2:30 AM · Report this
sheiler 17
Big Dog Clinton is vegan and his voice is just shitty. I don't know if that's from his diet or what but compared to Carter or even Noam Chomsky, two old guys who need to talk a lot and who are not vegan, Clinton sounds much older and crappier.

This anecdote served to you on a platter of pickled Milky Ways with generous heapings of multicolored jimmies.
Posted by sheiler http://sheilerama.com on December 6, 2013 at 4:46 AM · Report this