Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

A Sonic Postcard from Nashville, Starring Bully

Posted by on Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM

So, y'all know I moved to Nashville, right? I'm even saying y'all now! It's very exciting. It's currently a crisp 19 degrees outside, but very sunny, and last week I saw Scarlett from Nashville grabbing lunch at a coffeeshop across town. Anyway! Getting acquainted with a new city's music scene is really overwhelming. It feels like I'm studying for a final test without ever having gone to class. SO MUCH UNFAMILIAR INPUT.

As I wade through 8,000 different blogs and Bandcamps and try to fill my calendar with local shows to check out, there's already one Nashville band that I can confidently say is a favorite: They're called Bully and they play bouncy pop songs that are bright enough to make the city's current frozen landscape feel summery. And they're really great live, too! They recently played with Swearin' (<3 <3 <3!) and while I couldn't stay for their whole set (my diabetic cat needed his medicine, which is the coolest reason to leave a rock show early, yeah?), I can't wait to see them again. For your sake I hope they're able to get up to the Northwest sometime soon, too. Until then, I'm cool with keeping them all to myself down here.

Have at it:

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
diminished 1
holy shit! keep sending treasures like this back to the homeland and ill almost be ok with you taking off for exotic lands! this is amazing!
Posted by diminished on January 7, 2014 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 2
@1 Right? I was so happy when I heard them! I (dumbly) assumed the local music scene was going to be a onslaught of White Stripe and Lumineer wannabes and I'd have to dig really deep to find gems like this. Nope! They're a favorite of many down here!
Posted by Megan Seling on January 7, 2014 at 4:03 PM · Report this
It's sold out now, but you'd get a nice blast of Middle Tennessee rock at the Exit/In on Sunday: Self playing all of their 1994 debut, Subliminal Plastic Motives. The Spongebath Records bands - Self, Fl. Oz., and the Features (the latter still extant and super-vital) - were the best things going in the mid-to-late '90s. Another Murfreesboro favorite, Glossary, is also on that Exit/In bill. There's been a varied, vital rock scene here since the '80s, so there's plenty of stuff to catch up on!
Posted by outdoorminer on January 8, 2014 at 8:09 AM · Report this
I heart this. THANKS MEGAN (and keep 'em comin'!)
Posted by Kelly O on January 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Kyle Fleck 5
Megan! Good to see you around these (decidedly virtual) parts again. Did you have your Skype date with the office yet?
Posted by Kyle Fleck http://meatheads-with-hearts-of-gold.blogspot.com on January 9, 2014 at 1:37 AM · Report this