· Bleached played a fantastic set at Neumos last Thursday. In attendance were at least three brooding teens accompanied by a parent, who, by just hanging out and enjoying the show, looked more normal and at-ease than their kid.
· Well, the Hostess with the grosstess—Hostess brand "foods"—has announced its plans to close down, leaving everyone to whine about how Twinkies and Wonder Bread will no longer be available for them to never think about unless they got locked in a rural gas station for more than three weeks and every other food option was covered in locusts (we're talking a postapocalyptic or M. Night Shyamalan scenario) or rotting, because that is what food is supposed to do.
I just read a rumor on Facebook, that it's closing at the end of the month. Someone say it ain't so! I love the Lava! Especially Sylvia the bartender....
aw, and where will I play Miss Pac Man?!?
· Dan Deacon played at the Neptune last Saturday. His interactive brand of "Let's make a human tunnel!" and "Now we're running around the block!" show bordered on almost 100 percent audience participation, which is unheard of in this town! Deacon and the gang also have a new app that makes it possible to sync up all the KoolPhones (SmartPhones, FancyFones, iPodPhones, etc.) in the room, making a unified light source that changes screen colors according to sounds—at one point, the screens went dark and everyone's flash went off, DIY-strobe style. Deacon, in KISS makeup, said, "We were trying to look like KISS, but now we just look like juggalos."
· Former Seattle-based author/musician Pat Thomas recently received an enthusiastic thumbs-up for his book Listen, Whitey! The Sights and Sounds of Black Power 1965–1975 from ex–Sex Pistol/current Public Image Ltd. frontgeezer John Lydon. Thomas is now living in Los Angeles, where he's working on a book about Yippie activist Jerry Rubin. Lydon now does television adverts for Country Life butter.
· In case you're not up on your Lil Wayne news (for SHAME), last Thursday Weezy's private jet made an emergency landing in Texas and he was rushed to a local hospital. His management subsequently released a statement claiming that the rapper had suffered from "a severe migraine and dehydration." Cough syrup ≠ water, Wayne.
Chan Marshall, aka Cat Powercalled out Miami writer David Von Bader this week for being a "square" and accused him of focusing on her "'physical body" (see photos of the show here) in regards to a review he wrote entitled "Cat Power's Sun Tour Was a Train Wreck at Grand Central Miami" (where he says that she was, "completely torn-down on something... it is beyond uncomfortable to pay money to watch the unraveling of a woman this talented at the hands of whatever vice has her in its grip.") On her Tumblr, Chan Marshall warns the Miami New Times: "u fuck with me, u fuckin with my whole crew," and posted this response to his review :
DAVID VON BADER IS A SQUARE.
FULL JUDGEMENT OF HIS PHYSICAL BODY, BODY LANGUAGE, CREATIVE APTITUDE WHILE ARROGANTLY MISTAKING & IGNORANTLY MISUNDERSTANDING HIM CRITICALLY WITH SOCIAL EYEBALL, SOON, ON MY BLOG.
"Great music from Seattle is a lot like water, it just exists and there’s a lot of it. Seattle Megafest #4: Pearl Jam, Heart, 7 Year Bitch, Soundgarden, Green River, Candlebox, Grunttruck, Hammerbox, The Fire Theft, Metal Church, Sonics, U-Men, Young Fresh Fellows, Quincy Jones, Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie, MXPX, Mentors, Queensryche, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Temple Of The Dog, Zipgun, The Walkabouts, Screaming Trees, Sweet 75, Judy Collins, Harvey Danger, Mad Season, Critters Buggin, Band Of Horses, Julie Francavilla, Flop, Gas Huffer, Kenny G, Fastbacks, Rhino Humpers, Bathtub Gin, Polecat, Rusty Tricycle, Room Nine, F-Holes, Christdriver, the Accused, Botch, Himsa, Christ On A Crutch, Leon Hendrix, Dehumanizers."
All of these bands at Than Bros.! Free cream puff!
· A rep from EAW, the company that equipped Neumos with extra-powerful speakers during Decibel, told the festival's officials that the goal was "to leave stretch marks on your face." Mission accomplished! We've never heard such invasive bass frequencies in our lives.
· The Blue Moon Tavern in the University District has booked all-female Soundgarden cover band Bleed Together for Friday, October 5, and all-female Radiohead cover band Pablo Honeys for Saturday, October 6. Booker Jason Josephes says, "I didn't plan on this, it just happened."
TMZ has acquired some blurry, but still funny video of Nicki Minaj GOING THE FUCK OFF on co-judge Mariah Carey, the American Idol staff, and... the universe, I guess? If she's hard to understand, here's a transcript of some of the stuff she's saying. (Note: Before the video started, Nicki allegedly vowed to "knock Mariah out." WHEEEE!!)
"Oh why, WHYYYY do I have a three year old sitting around me?"
"I can’t see my kids, because you decided to act like a little crazy bitch and go all around the stage.”
"I told them I'm not fuckin' putting up with her fuckin' highness over there."
OH, NO SHE DID NOT. Here's the video from TMZ.
There is a red-hot rumor that Madonna, aka, Nonnie, Maddy, Mo, The Material Girl, Madge, and/or just "M" might show up at the new Q Nightclub tonight. BELIEVE IT! Well, believe that it's a serious rumor that's going around today. Updates, if any, posted here on Lineout.
· The Evaporators played a most excellent show at the Funhouse over the weekend. Nardwuar totally still has it! Patrons of the Lower Queen Anne establishment were dismayed, though, by the darkened back porch area where showgoers usually gather to smoke, play basketball, and flash one another. Apparently, the fire department told the Funhouse to remove the extension cords that powered the back porch tent lights because they were deemed too dangerous. But a completely pitch-dark porch area where a bunch of tipsy Friday nighters are reveling is as safe as can be?
· The 2012 Genius Awards party was a smashing success! Big congratulations to Lori Goldston, this year's music Genius! And to all the Geniuses and fine (like, fiiiine) folks who participated in the joy. "Everyone looked better than normal this year," observed an anonymous Stranger staff member. The Seattle Rock Orchestra concluded the ceremony with Michael Jackson hits, causing spontaneous stage dancing to occur. A single surprised security guard attempted to keep the stage-hopping at bay, but you simply aren't allowed to tackle someone if they are wearing sequins and/or a bow tie.
They met while collaborating on material for her upcoming record.
I can't wait to not hear that album! Congrats, you two!
Email from someone in charge over at the Seattle Space Needle Center or whatever it's called. Be advised, y'all!
PEARL JAM NOT PERFORMING AT CONCERTS AT THE MURAL TONIGHT
Please be advised – and help us correct the misinformation – that Pearl Jam is in any way involved in tonight’s KEXP & Seattle Center Present Concerts at the Mural. We have heard that this rumor was spread through Twitter; and is it just that – a rumor.
Bands on the line-up for the 5:30 p.m. concert include: Brad, Posse and Young Eagles. The outdoor concert is free and open to the public. Stone Gossard is a member of the band Brad. Although Seattle Center would welcome the opportunity to host Pearl Jam, the band is not/not playing today.
Read more on Madonna's big, bad guns.
But they're kind of too private to post on a blog, y'know? I just thought I'd mention it, because probably other people are feeling the same way. Really, though: THANKS, MUSIC. And Block Party. Um, yeah.
Rumors, they be flyin'! Tonight, Chop Suey.
Regardless of how you feel about Mad Rad, they left no pot of shit-talking unstirred in this town. It seems like only yesterday that this here blog was torn asunder daily with the anonymous hatred of these four rapping honkeys. If it's true, it was a good run, boys, may you all move on to bigger/better endeavors.
P.S.: Shit be sold out, as usual.
I love Austin Psych Fest. Glad to be involved again for the 5th year now. So many positive people with brains, talent, and true goodness... but Anton Newcomb... really? You insult the Black Angels on stage in front of thousands of people? They are the reason you're on that particular stage and getting paid for it in the first place. I don't mean to accentuate the negative but that was just extremely bad form. I could say more but I don't want to be all "Anton" about it...
...He's supposedly sober now, so I thought, as "professional musician" he'd keep it together. I know a lot of people were taping the show so I will try to turn up the "official version" but essentially this is what he said in the middle of their set: "I know you guys have your Black Angels, your Wooden Shijps, your Black Lips, and your Conan O'Brien that played this weekend, but that song we just played was better than all of those people. Don't let your music turn into a Kotex commercial..."
Who even buys Kotex anymore? Personally, I'm more of a Playtex kinda girl.
I, unfortunately, saw Valentine's Day, which features Taylor Swift as a hyper-happy high school student, and SHE WAS TERRIBLE. She was in the movie for maybe five minutes. She was so unnatural. So stiff. Now she's going to be Joni Mitchell?
But if not Swift, who? I suppose, as far as young, female singer-songwriters go (who, you know, actually sing and write their own music), Swift is the obvious choice. Do you have any better ideas?
As Jackson pointed out in this morning's music news, music blogger's and gossip hound's heads exploded this weekend when it was rumored that Mr. Guns n' Roses is dating Miss SNL Disaster. They apparently left the Chateau Marmont together this weekend. Hubba hubba! But now Axl's bandmate is insisting to TMZ.com that the two are NOT the newest (and most confusing) couple.
He's 50. She's 25. He's a has been. She will be soon. It makes sense to me! Though, if I had to guess, I would've put her together with Billy Corgan before Axl. Anyway! We're done talking about whether or not she's a talented singer/songwriter. Now we can just talk about who she's dating. (Because in the gossip world, when you're a woman and you stand next to someone, you're totally
possibly probably dating them and/or pregnant with their lovechild.)
Of all Del Rey's rumored beaus which would be the weirdest?
All contents © Index Newspapers, LLC
1535 11th Ave (Third Floor), Seattle, WA 98122